This is a Connections Standards lesson for Chinese high school students.
Learners will be able to:
• Identify a base of vocabulary on Chinese musical instruments and develop interpersonal
communication skills through discussions of the key elements of Chinese musical instruments.
• Develop interpretive skills through reading articles and watching video clips about Chinese
• Write an essay about Chinese musical instruments.
• Gain knowledge of traditional Chinese musical instruments through Internet research on both
English and Chinese language websites.
• Gain knowledge of cultural products of Chinese music instruments and their relationship with
the Chinese cultural perspective of “harmony but not uniformity”.
• Make connections with other subjects, such as music, geography, history and religion.
• Compare the linguistic difference between the Chinese characters for pipa
琵琶 and guitar 吉他.
• Discuss the major characteristics of Chinese musical instruments and compare and contrast them
with those of musical instruments from other cultures in terms of structures, finger movements,
hand positions, cultural symbols, etc.
• Apply what students learn from this unit to their own musical learning and personal
entertainment in the future.
• Explain their understanding of the Chinese cultural concept of “harmony but not uniformity”.
• Create a presentation for the community to promote Chinese musical instruments.
• Connect with the sister school in Chongqing, China to learn more about Chinese musical instruments.