This is an intermediate level module for undergraduate or graduate level social work students, or for public child welfare staff with some exposure to Trauma Informed Practice. It presents information about trauma related vocabulary, the Mental Health System, advocacy and DSM V trauma related diagnoses.
Learning objects addressed in this module are:
1. Describe the importance of MH Intervention for trauma survivors
2. Identify MH vocabulary regarding trauma and referrals
3. Describe MH service options
4. Describe the basic DSM V Trauma/Stressor Diagnostic Labels
5. Apply a basic MH risk assessment
6. Complete a best practice case-based MH advocacy, referral, and follow-up plan
The module consists of slides introducing the content, 9 self-assessment quiz questions with feedback for incorrect responses, and a list of references and resources for further study. To support learning of new terminology, a summary sheet of vocabulary common to mental health services is provided as a downloadable attachment. The module can be used as a self-study professional development resource or to supplement an in-person course.