Getting Started with OER

by Megan Simmons 2 years, 11 months ago

Take a look at some of the resources that have been curated in our Group folders

Are there any resources in the folders that you might be able to use in your work? Please reply below and share which resource(s) you could use and how you might use them. If you weren't able to find any resources to use, please share some of the content need areas you currently have.

For example: I found the Screening for Biased Content in Instructional Materials interesting and plan to use it to assess the materials I currently use in my teaching to identify gaps and need areas where I can bring in more diverse voices and be more inclusive for my community

Jane Bean-Folkes 2 years, 11 months ago

Thanks, I look forward to learning with you. So far I see lots of interesting information that I can be used in future curriculum planning and unit work. 

Maria-Daphne Kazanis 2 years, 11 months ago

I found Comic Creator through Read Write Think that looks really fun for students to create their own comics.  I would like to learn how to create bundles of relevant resources for our teachers to use and ideas for where to put these resources for ease of use and access.  

Anina Rossen 2 years, 11 months ago

We did a lesson on Earth Day and it is a topic that is oftened covered in the classrooms as well. All of the Climate Kids resources are great for using in the library, as well as sharing with teachers. Well designed and the right reading level for kids to learn independently about our climate.

Jameel Misbahuddin 2 years, 11 months ago

I liked the Design of the Facility Case Study for our Fundamentals of Engineering design class.  It could be a good way for students to see how buildings have to take into account local environmental challenges.

Is there a way to sort these by grade level?

Shea Williams 2 years, 11 months ago

I like the 3rd Grade History Unit 1 Design: Geography & Cultures of North America. It's a comprehensive unit with six lessons with thought provoking questions: Where are we? Who are we? What is culture?

Amy Popp 2 years, 11 months ago

"Voices of Hope: Climate Science" seems like a timely and valuable resource on climate change for fourth and fifth graders. The combination of language development and science seems an effective way of teaching this subject.

Jeffrey Cosgrave 2 years, 11 months ago

Since we as Librarians ar always updating the collection and reviewing materials to determine if they are still relevant, the Screening for Biased content is extremely relevant to my work

https://www.oercommons.org/courseware/lesson/74736/overview

Janine Guida Poutre 2 years, 11 months ago

I found the Screening for Bias very interesting and helpful as a teacher. 

Most of the resources I saw were for MS and HS and above.  I saw very few for the elementary age levels.  That said, the Sand Dune lesson was a good one for our 3rd grades and 4th grades.  I know our curriculum is changing, but NJ shores is a topic.

We have a beautiful garden in the back of our school and the Schoolyard Habitat lessons would work well with that resource.

Teresa Quick 2 years, 11 months ago

Great articles everyone.

Read this 

https://www.oercommons.org/courses/exodusters-african-american-migration-to-the-great-plains?__hub_id=46

Chris Preston 2 years, 11 months ago

I found the geo. and Mapping Traditional Lands (Gr. 4 ) a valuble frame for adopting for NJ. EDSITEMENT has many good resources to use/modify and draw other ideas from. The LGBTQ reources that i reviewed serve as a catalyst for exploring the contributions of poeple within a historical context readily aviilable for courses that include 20th cen. history 

Looking forward to reviewing, 3rd Grade History Unit 1 Design: Geography & Cultures of North America