Lesson Topic: Table Etiquette
Lesson Description: In this lesson, students will learn about proper table etiquette and manners as well as place settings.
- Students will be able to describe and demonstrate proper table etiquette and manners.
- Students will be able to list and describe the three different place settings.
Nebraska Standards: NE.HSE.HS.3.23.D, NE.HSE.HS.3.2.A, NE.HSE.HS.4.2.A
- computer and projector
- Table Etiquette PPT & Notes
- Half of a poster board per student
- Computer or ipad for each student
- Fabric Napkin or a nice large disposable napkin per student
- Lab Materials (explained in instruction plan)
Time Required for Lesson:
6-7 1 hour 30 minute class periods
10-11 45 minute class periods
For this unit, I time it so it is around Thanksgiving time. One day is a prep day, one day is table setting/eating day (we have block scheduling). On the first day they make everything except for the gravy and they prep the turkey. I come in early in the morning the day of eating and I roast the turkey. The mashed potatoes group then quickly make the gravy while all of the other students from the other groups are setting the table and getting the food set up. I break each class down into 5 groups and each group does one of the following:
- mashed potatoes and gravy
- green bean casserole
- pumpkin pie and whipped cream
__X___ YES _____NO
Pre-Quiz: There are two parts to this quiz: a series of true and false questions over etiquette rules and each student is called back, individually, and try to properly do a formal setting using all of the components on a table int he back.
Career Readiness Standards:
2. Communicates effectively and appropriately
6. Demonstrates innovation and creativity
8. Works productively in teams and demonstrates cultural competency
9. Utilizes technology
Activities (i.e. instructions, lesson, lab or project):
- PPT & Notes
- Table Setting Theme Poster- for this, students will create a theme and draw and decorate their table setting on their poster paper. You can google for picture examples
- Napkin Folding Activity (found on the last slide of the PPT)
- Thanksgiving Lab
- Table Setting Test (individually, they have to set a proper formal table setting)
- Website Quiz- http://tablemanners.us
Students apply their knowledge gained in this unit by setting their table for the Thanksgiving feast. While feasting, students will demonstrate proper table etiquette.
Formative: website "quiz", thanksgiving lab, table setting theme poster
Summative: formal table setting quiz, test