Curation Practice for Week 4

by Megan Simmons 2 years, 11 months ago
  1. Practice: Submit an open educational resource to share in the OER Commons library (click Submit a Resource in our group and add the link and descriptive information)

2. Practice: Create folders / subfolders and save resources you want to use and share (In group resourses click on New and add the title of the folder. To save resources, click on Save on the resource and select the folder you wish to save it to.) For inspiration, check out this example of a group curating language learning resources for the Pathways Project at Boise State University 

3. Practice: Add descriptive tags and keywords to resources you curate directly on the resource by clicking Add New Tag

Show & Tell: Find an image that represents what collaboration looks like in your work to share next week

Anina Rossen 2 years, 11 months ago

I added to the OER the A&AePortal (Art & Architecture ePortal). This is an excellent resource for the study of art and architectural history. Individual and institutional access is available, but some resources are available without a subscription. Here is a link to the resource. https://www.aaeportal.com/home For a more indepth evaluation of this resource, here is a link to the evaluation I wrote on this resource for the Art Libraries Society of North America. https://www.arlisna.org/publications/multimedia-technology-reviews/1942-art-architecture-eportal

Amy Popp 2 years, 11 months ago

My submission to the OER Commons Library (located in the SOMSD group) is K-12 Teaching and Learning.  This is a professional development resource.  This is a great resource from William and Flora Hewlett Foundation that has a lot of good articles on educational practice.  I created a new folder in our group called "Professional Development" and added this resource to this folder.  In addition, I created subfolders for different academic areas so that we may continue adding other professional development resources.

K-12 Teaching and Learning

Anina Rossen 2 years, 11 months ago

Since my first submission was rejected on the grounds that all of the content on the resource was not available for free use (though a good portion is), I have added a new resource to the OER. I added access to Corsair, the public access database of the collection of Pierpont Morgan housed at the Morgan Library in New York. http://corsair.morganlibrary.org/

Named after Pierpont Morgan's yacht, CORSAIR is a single database providing unified access to over 330,000 records for medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, rare and reference books, literary and historical manuscripts, music scores, ancient seals and tablets, drawings, prints, and other art objects. Records continue to be added for new acquisitions.

The depth of detail is unusual for an online catalog. Many records include summaries of the content of individual letters, lengthy notes about provenance, and detailed descriptions of bindings. Specialized indexes enable researchers to find all of the Morgan's holdings associated with a given name, date, or place. For example, with a single search a scholar interested in Dickens can find records for manuscripts and letters in the author's hand, early printed editions of his novels, original illustrations, photographs, and personal possessions such as Dickens' ink pot and cigar case.

CORSAIR also serves as the gateway to one of the largest repositories of medieval images on the Internet, providing access to more than 57,000 digitized images from the Morgan's collection of medieval and Renaissance manuscripts. Users may page through every illustrated leaf within a manuscript, or search for individual images by place or date of creation, artist's name, illustration type, and subject. The images and descriptions may be accessed directly through CORSAIR, or by visiting Images from Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts.

Maria-Daphne Kazanis 2 years, 11 months ago

I shared to the OER Comons (South Orange/Maplewood Group under the Elementary Folder and then Multicultural subfolder) an excellent resource called Mosaic Multicultural Book Collection.  It encompases Elementary, Middle School, High School and Professional Book Collections for the current school year as well as past school years.  I was impressed with the Equity Toolbox as well as featured book trailers.

Suzanne Ng 2 years, 11 months ago

I submitted something to OER but it got rejected because it supposedly had copyrighted materials. 

Evyn Degnan 2 years, 11 months ago

I added the the Molecular Models and 3D pritning lesson and created a new 3D pritning folder.

I tried adding an image but it is not formatting correctly. 

Shea Williams 2 years, 11 months ago

I added two resources to the OER Commone Library in the folder I created, Robotics. These two resources are curated lessons about teaching robotic algorithyms using items found in the house, short BrainPop video and student driven problem solving. 

https://www.oercommons.org/courses/hour-of-code-2-1-programming-unplugged-my-robotic-friends-relay/view

https://www.oercommons.org/courses/my-robotic-teacher?__hub_id=46

I think both these resources will be helpful as our district moves to add robotics to our curriculum as well as enhance coding programs.