U2A2

by Kari Stromme 5 years, 1 month ago

What a great way to use a lesson developed by someone else and change it so it fits your needs and know that you are doing it legally!  I think this is particularly important to me as a librarian when I am sharing lessons that I find with other teachers!  I should be the one modeling appropriate sharing, and I often felt uncomfortable about it!

Joan Upell 5 years, 1 month ago

Excellent point, that’s the leader in the librarian!

Angie Nagle 5 years ago

I completely understand, Kari. I feel guilty sometimes when I hear mention of copyright in schools, as I haven't taken much of a stand or leadership role in ensuring our staff are aware of and following copyright laws. I know we have purchased a license for showing movies (not sure if it includes videos/Netflix/etc), which makes me feel a bit better. I also think it's neat and super reassuring how OER is set up to let us know what we can legally do with the resources shared there. Being able to take an already created lesson and adjust it to fit our needs, then share it for others to use, feels like a great, if small, contribution. 

Ron Chesmore 5 years ago

Yeah, I like the share-ability aspect of OER. It seems like a very altruistic endeavor among educators to help each other out. I never minded sharing lessons or materials that I have created in that past with other teachers. I just thought that if I could lighten their burden a bit, so be it. It usually comes around in spades when I need help from my colleagues with something. OER is just a bigger version of that. 

Corene Freeman 5 years ago

Kari,

I completely agree! Using the OER Commons is a great way to share lessons and make them your own legally and correctly. Often teachers think they can get away with things because we're in a school and they won't get "caught". By showing our staff how to use OER Commons, we can lead them to the right path. Thanks for your thoughts!

Corene

Good point, Kari! Sometimes we as teachers forget the "leagally" part of our lesson taking!