Test Bank conversion to Canvas QTI format

by pamela stegeman 10 months, 3 weeks ago

I am converting my Marketing Principles course to OpenStax this fall. I was wondering if anyone has converted the Test Bank word docs to Canvas Test Banks? 

Also, does anyone know when the course cartridge is supposed to be completed?

Thanks for your help!

Lindsay Josephs 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Hi Pamela! My name is Lindsay, and I work on the higher education team at OpenStax. We have not come across any instructors who have converted the test bank Word docs to Canvas Test Banks. We are in the midst of creating LMS course cartridges for Principles of Marketing and aim to have them ready before the fall semester.

pamela stegeman 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for your reply. Do you know when the course cartridges will be done? I understand it is supposed to be complete before the fall semester, but I try to get everything done and open for students a few weeks before the start of the semester. Are you anticipating having the cartridges available in July? early August? late August?

Any ideas on how instructors use the test banks in Canvas? Or, do they only give in-person quizzes?

Thanks so much for your help.

Hi Pamela! We are aiming for the course cartridges to be available to our users by August 1st. Instructors typically use the test banks in Canvas for homework assignments or low-level quizzing, as well as formative assessments. Instructors are less likely to use the course cartridge tests for summative assessments.

pamela stegeman 9 months, 1 week ago

Hi Lindsay,

Any update on the course cartridges for Canvas or Commons? I know you were aiming for Aug 1, but do you think they will be available within the next week? I have to know whether to do my own from scratch, which means I have to get on it soon.

Thanks

Lindsay Josephs 9 months, 1 week ago

Hi Pamela,

Thank you for following up. Our team is working diligently to complete the Principles of Marketing course cartridges and is aiming to publish the cartridges without the text banks by Monday. While this date is subject to change, please know this is a top priority for our team.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Best,

Lindsay

Paige Beal 8 months, 4 weeks ago

Hi Pamela,

I just received the course cartridges and there is no text bank -unless I missed something.  So I will be starting to build test banks immediately since our courses start on the 28th.  Would you like to collaborate on this effort?  My email is pbeal@pointpark.edu 

Thanks

Paige

Paige Beal 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Hi Lindsay,

Great to hear this news!  Can you give an estimate of the time frame for the cartridge release?  And also, what else is on the cartridge besides the text banks?

Thanks,

Paige

Hi Paige,

Thank you for your questions! We're aiming for the course cartridges to be available to our users by August 1st. The course cartridges feature test banks, links to the individual textbook sections, and select other ancillary resources depending on the subject.

Best,

Lindsay

Paige Beal 9 months, 1 week ago

Hi Lindsay - Any updates on the anticipated date for the Canvas cartridge release?    Thanks!

Paige

Lindsay Josephs 9 months, 1 week ago

Hi Paige,

Thank you for following up. Our team is working diligently to complete the Principles of Marketing course cartridges and is aiming to publish the cartridges without the text banks by Monday. While this date is subject to change, please know this is a top priority for our team.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Best,

Lindsay

Paige Beal 9 months, 1 week ago

Thanks for the update - and please pass along thanks to all who are working on this!!!

Paige Beal 9 months ago

Hi Lindsay,

Anthony just sent the Course Cartridge for Canvas and he identified that there is no test bank.  I just wanted to confirm that with you before I started building it out myself.

Everything else looks great in the cartridge and I really appreciate the work done to complete it! 

Paige

Lindsay Josephs 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Hi Paige,

Thank you for reaching out! Correct; there is no test bank in the Canvas course cartridge. However, Principles of Marketing does come with a separate test bank; it can be found on the instructor resources page

Thank you for being such an avid supporter of OpenStax, and please let us know if you have any further questions!

Best,

Lindsay

Paige Beal 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Hi Pamela,  I am converting this text into Canvas from Schoology.  Although I haven't worked with a cartridge before, my understanding is that it would be a seamless integration by virtue of being in a Canvas cartridge.