Quick Question About Canvas Coursepack

by Travis Williams 3 years, 6 months ago

Hello.  I am using the Organizational Behavior text in Canvas and noticed that the coursepack textbook links all open the text in a separate browser tab.  The other OpenStax coursepacks I have used open the text within Canvas.  Does anyone know a way to fix this?  I submitted a question to OpenStax support, but a week has passed with no reply.

Symphonie Swift 3 years, 6 months ago

Hi Travis,

The cartridges on our website should automatically load book pages in a new tab. However, this setting can be changed inside the LMS. Please note that changing the setting to open within Canvas may impact device responsiveness. If you would like to change this setting, you can click “edit” for each link and alter the loading method. Here’s an example - you would need to uncheck the “load in new tab” box. For further assistance, your campus LMS or IT administrators would be the best points of contact.

I've checked with our customer support team and it looks like they did try to get you a response but the email may have gotten lost or sent to your spam folder. If you need some assistance getting in touch with them, please let me know. I'd be happy to help.

Example LMS loading change

Travis Williams 3 years, 6 months ago

Thank you so much for this reply, Symphonie.  You are right that the reply from the customer support team went to my spam folder.  I marked it as not spam, so hopefully that will not happen in the future.

I am still puzzled by the cartridge for Organizational Behavior.  Within each module of the cartridge, the pages each link to an OpenStax URL.  For example, the chapter 18 introduction has the following link: https://openstax.org/books/organizational-behavior/pages/18-introduction

Here is a link from the Introduction to Business cartridge, for comparison: https://ccconlineed.instructure.com/courses/7031/modules/items/352518  As you can see, this textbook cartridge links back to Canvas, not to OpenStax.  This appears to be a difference within the cartridges, but if I need to fix something on my end, please let me know.

Symphonie Swift 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm afraid this is beyond my knowledge of the Canvas cartridges. If you're not seeing the option to de-select "Load in a new tab" then perhaps that could be signaling an issue with this particular cartridge. Would you mind sending over another email to the customer support team? They're more versed in this than I am.

Travis Williams 3 years, 6 months ago

Customer support answered the question for me, Symphonie.  There was a setting I was able to change in the Canvas modules to get the pages to open within Canvas.  Thank you for your assistance!