Does anybody want to collaborate on a grant?

by Guy Vandegrift 6 years, 3 months ago

I want to get a grant to develop OER materials with student collaborators on wikis.  I am a tenured physics professor at Wright State University in Ohio, but might move to the Chicago area so my wife can be a professional grandmother while I find a way to work on this project using a little bit of soft money to supplement our retirement income.  Collaboration could be done online from any remote location.

Usually old professors just keep their cushy teaching jobs until they go senile, but this OER movement has me far too excited to consider that. I just spent the morning using the cc-by license to upload all of the OpenStax Astronomy slide presentations to Wikiversity where they can be conveniently viewed by students or used by instructors as classroom overheads.  For some, the pdf format will be more convenient that the MS PowerPoint files. For more information, see:

P.S. I have 21 refereed publications plus this recent on on the Solar Eclipse on a Sunny Day, and a paper on Bell's theorem that I have decided to submit to an open source journal.

Jimmy Newland 6 years, 2 months ago

If a lowly high school astronomy teacher can be of help, I'd be interested in helping out.

Guy Vandegrift 6 years, 2 months ago

Give me some adivce lowly high school teacher!  I once tried to get a high school teaching credential and washed out when I tried to student teach.  What I am hoping is that students can come up with essays and proposed mutiple choice questions.  If we make the bank so big, it will be impossible for students to memorize all the questions.  Then the teachers, can pick an chose what is on the test.

Did you see the essay on Live In the Universe at https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/File:Anonymous_Life_in_the_Universe.pdf ?

That was written by a high school student.  It was more than I was asking for, but give you an idea of what students can do.  Either the entire class could pick a chapter, or students could separately pick chapters and attempt to produce what this student did (on perhaps a more modest scale).  You need to decide how to attribute, by real name or by pseudonym, and I suggest you make the essays Public Domain.  Then I can post them on Wikiversity, and this summer convert some of the questions into multiple choice questions.

Do you think this could be done?