Webinar Three - Remixing and Creating

by Joanna Schimizzi 1 year, 2 months ago

Discusison Board Tip: Please reply directly to this prompt by clicking "reply" below. You will only see the "Reply" button if you are logged in and a member of the group.

Prompt:

1. What did you hear in a breakout room (or main session) that connected with something you were considering for your OER Remix/Creation?

2. Create?? Or Find?? If you could create or find exactly what you're looking for, what would it be?

Nik Byle 1 year, 2 months ago

1) I found learning about the remixing very helpful. Mike's comments about not being too perfectionistic about publishing was a good point, I think.

2) Though, creating would be personally satisfying, if I were to find a source that I was comfortable just adopting, I would do that for the sake of my time and my students (i.e. it would benefit my students more immediately.)

Erin Roper 1 year, 1 month ago

I agree with not letting perfectionism get in the way, and seeing all types of OER resources big and small has helped me readjust my mindset to publishing smaller pieces more often.

Kristin Juarez 1 year, 2 months ago

1. We talked about my frustration with remixing and then started brainstorming ides. Low and behold we found where we could obtain the .docx files for OpenStax so that we could REMIX! YAY!

2. Both. Now that I have seen how to use this site and have found the files I needed, I thinik I can both create and find what I need to remix what I want and will use! :)

OH HAPPY DAY!

-KJ

Wendy Ashby 1 year, 2 months ago

This is excellent news! I am sorry I missed your breakthrough in real time, but I am SO excited to hear that!!

I understand! I was just thinking the same thing :-) We'll address it earlier in the process next time. I am still learning some of these things myself. 

BAMBI PISH-DERR 1 year, 2 months ago

1.  I heard that we are all learning about how to discover and learning about OER.  Remixing is the primary way we like to use OER

2.  Finding is best, I do not have time to create right now.  I would like to remake skills videos that would provide options for students, two choices.

Robyn Bryce 1 year, 2 months ago

I can see remixing being super useful. there are resources out there that are good , but not everthing that I am loooking for.  Remixing allows me to bump it up a level to my liking.

Mike Rozinski 1 year, 2 months ago

1) A lot of us have similar, or the same, projects and goals. OER is great opportunity for collaboration and remixing resources!

2) I would love to spend a lot of time creating a shareable shell for our online College Algebra course. I often only have the time to make changes in small increments.

Carrie Meakins Farnsworth 1 year, 1 month ago

That sounds like a great idea. Often the core of the curriculum can be consistent, but things change each semester (not the same students, snow days/weather impacts, etc.) It would be a great way to quickly mix things up and see others ideas.

Tonya Jackson 1 year, 1 month ago

Sometimes I think the small changes are best, they aren't as overwhelming and it doesn't make you feel like you either don't have the energy to start or like you can't change something after the fact because the time cost was already so high!

Crystal McKenna 1 year, 2 months ago

I want to plant the seed in my brain that there are versions of labs that I already do out there that might be much better and more up to date!

Still looking for something more interactive and less "text and questions"

Giovanna Macry 1 year, 2 months ago
  1. In the breakout room, attendees illustrated how different platforms work when remixing content.  They were working in OpenStax and OER Commons.
  2. I am open to creating and finding content.
Robyn Bryce 1 year, 2 months ago

1. OER commons is just as much about finding something to use as well as it is about sharing something.  I believe in the love you get is the love you give.  So sharing on the OER Commons will build in the community with which I hope to receive.

2. I think a virtual reality / meta lesson filled with virtual experiential activities like working on a live movie set or manipulating a camera and its settings.

John Hansen 1 year, 2 months ago

1. Many of us share the same ideas and goals of how we want to utilize and build OERs.

2. Approaches to textual analysis.

Erik Wilbur 1 year, 1 month ago

Did I share the OER module I developed for textual analysis with you yet? I have quite a bit of OER material on hand for that concept. I'm currently developing another OER Canvas page for evidence analysis (when developing paragraphs) as well. 

Beau Rogers 1 year, 1 month ago

I am also looking for help with approaching textual analysis. 

John Hansen 1 year, 1 month ago

If you find anything, send it my way. I'll do the same! Best, John

Amita Engineer 1 year, 2 months ago

1. In the breakout session, learned more about incorporating SOFTChalk into the LMS.

2. I think there are so many good resources out there for BIOLOGY that I would find and Remix to make my own. This is why today's session on Remixing was the most relevant for me. There are so many things I would like to find it is difficult to talk of just one, but in general, I am looking for more hands-on things for my Anatomy and Physiology classes.

We have budget for fun stuff if you find anything to purchase that can be used in A&P!

Kelene Keating 1 year, 2 months ago

1.  I was glad to learn about the remix feature!  I will most likely always remix a resource. Mike's little snippit gave me inspiration and now I know I can bug him if I need help!

2.  I need to create 3 labs for our OER Manual (MCC BIO 181) and I am goign to check out OER Commons before I begin researching.  If I find something good I will remix and share with the group.  we are actually planning on sahring our entire manual with the group once we complete it.  It is a joint effort with 4 faculty members.  I am specifically looking for a macromolecule and cellular respiration lab.

Erik Wilbur 1 year, 2 months ago

1. I heard that I shouldn't let perfectionism or the need to construct a comprehensive OER textbook prevent me from building and remixing materials.

2. At this moment, I'm interested in finding or creating OER modules for the common writing assessments we use at MCC. These include a literacy narrative, an argumentative essay, and a textual/rhetorical analysis. The materials I've found for these focus on 5-paragraph essay structures. I'd like to remix them or create/find some that don't focus on the 5-paragraph structure.

Eric Osborn 1 year, 2 months ago

1. Making sure that the OER is accessible with proper captioning, ALT TEXT, etc...

2. I would want an image generator (AI or not) that provides images based on text prompts (current versions are limited and laughable).  I spend a lot of time recreating live action shots to put them in OER materials.

Accessible is something I have to learn to be more mindful of... Thanks for bringing that back into my mind.

Photos are tough.  I feel like it might be a good job for a work study.

Eric Osborn 1 year, 1 month ago

Now that's an idea!  I think I can make this work.....um....

Jacob Crawford 1 year, 2 months ago

Mary W. inspired me to make tools and resources universally available to help students and other faculty to enable students. 

Personally, I am working on creating a OER textbook that covers our Humanities course but will broaden the focus to be World vs “Western” centric humanities. I am using an OER textbook as a foundation and remixing it! 

Karly Schauwecker 1 year, 2 months ago
  • What did you hear in a breakout room (or main session) that connected with something you were considering for your OER Remix/Creation? 

For me, it was affirming to hear that so many of us are considering the same thing, to Remix content and tailor, say, OpenStax materials to fit out needs.

• Create?? Or Find?? If you could create or find exactly what you're looking for, what would it be?

One things that would be of great value: tell us what to do with the Remix once we've saved it. For example, do we create an export file that can be uploaded to Canvas?

Karly

Laurel Clifford 1 year, 2 months ago

1.  What did you hear in a breakout room (or main session) that connected with something you were considering for your OER Remix/Creation?

I realized it would be useful to share things even if they aren't all encompassing/full resources, as listening to what someone else was doing made me want to have access to their great ideas (shout out to Steve Roark from Cochise CC, who is working on math labs for an applied math course--I'm hoping you will share :-))

2.  Create?? Or Find?? If you could create or find exactly what you're looking for, what would it be?

One of my goals in this program is to remix/create materials for the Math for Elementary School Teachers sequence at my institution.  I'd like to end up with a text reference, hands-on activities and interactive explorations, and problems to solve which align with my institution's course outcomes and student learning outcomes (a complete package) which empowers students to succeed (big goal!).

And kudos to Mike Rozinski for doing a great presentation and sharing his experience--you rock, Mike! :-)

And an xkcd reference which is obscurely relevant to today's discussion:  https://xkcd.com/2730/ 

Joseph Wharton 1 year, 2 months ago

I really enjoyed this session.  One of the difficulties I find in my area (CAD drafting) is finding and keeping up to date information.  The idea of remixing old material with new data is a great resource.

Julia Hull 1 year, 2 months ago

1. Perfectionism is an asymptote--you can never reach it, but you can always get a little closer!

2) I plan on creating AND finding!!! I have already developed several labs for my BIO 181 and 182 classes. Likewise, I am developing several Forestry and Natural Resources courses at Coconino Community College, so I plan on making the materials I develop for those courses avaiable on the OER commons.

Steve Roark 1 year, 1 month ago

Asymptotic behaviour encouraged!  Great that you are sharing lab material.  I did the same for last assignment - lab activity for a applied mathematics course. 

Mike Rozinski 1 year, 1 month ago

As a math faculty, I love this analogy! I think we all have material that we've already created that can be useful for others.

Steve Roark 1 year, 2 months ago

1.  To get started sharing something you already have - rather than thinking of creating or remixing textbook type resource, start with sharing activities. Goes along with Michael's presentation - just do it. 

2.  Applied math text that is general enough to serve students in a variety of applied science degrees.  Going beyond this materials that would allow me to utilize lab type activities in the online version of this course.  

Michael Wetta 1 year, 2 months ago

1.  As touched on in the session, it seems that many times when people hear OER, they envision creating a textbook or a course from scratch completely on their own.  While that is certainly one possibility, remixing allows one to take pieces from disparate sources and combine them into a resource tailored for you and your student's needs.

2.  I think I would start with finding to begin with no matter what.  That way, I can explore what is already out there and if I do find something that exactly fits my needs, so much the better.  If not, there is a good chance I might find something close that just needs a little bit of remixing.  Even if the first two possibilities don't come to fruition, you may get some ideas from other resources and find resources that may be useful elsewhere.

Joseph Wharton 1 year, 2 months ago

1. Finding material that can be remixed, perhaps with some additional creating to update out of date materials (old software versions.)

2. I would like to find existing OER course materials that could be remixed to state of the art materials.  Or, creat a new set of course materials.

Tammy Powers 1 year, 2 months ago

1 I have been thinking about how supporting OER goes with creating OER. As a librarian, we are often content finders/providers, but I hadn't thought about a more active role until discussing this during our breakout session. Our campus also has a review task for the library and I think planning for creation of OERs may be very beneficial to the ability to review them. To practice this, I would like to find a research skill segment to remix.

2 I think both options have their place.  I think due to available time, "finding material" might be a necessity.  If time were no object, then I think creating would be great, because you understand all of the nuances you have created and that would need to be updated and tweaked to keep it appropriate for use. Creating sounds more fun in the long run.

Tama Kott 1 year, 2 months ago

More use of OER Commons and looking at both options, creating and finding.  Finding exactly what one is looking for in the field may be more of a challenge.  Creating is a good solution, but certain other copyright laws would come into play.

Joseph Wharton 1 year, 1 month ago

Tama,

I agree, it is difficult finding up to date information in many fields.  I work with CAD drafting and the difficult comes because software changes every year, so keeping my students up to date is challenging.  Being able to create our own material and share it with others can help us all keep up to date.

1. I am not actively remixing or creating an OER - I am managing the grant at my college. I am delighted to hear that some of my colleagues are beginning to feel more empowered to use the site and move forward with projects. We had a dip in enthusiasm where the ideas were outpacing the technology. I do wish there were better options for merging other than cut and paste - I think it would make this process even more intuitive, creative and exciting. 

2. I am considering creating an onboarding course for community college new faculty - partly to get better at this entire process so I can help my next cohort of people and get them up and running more quickly. Plus, there is something to be said for the creative process that I am missing a lot. 

Linda Neff 1 year, 1 month ago

Wendy, I would love to chat with you about potentially collaborating with you about designing an onboarding course for community college new faculty.  

cynthia Martinez 1 year, 2 months ago

In my search so far, I am finding much which I will be able to adapt, or which is providing me ideas. With this in mind, while right now I will stick with finding and remixing, I do have a goal of creating.

Carrie Meakins Farnsworth 1 year, 1 month ago

I felt like the "Remix" option was a tool that could be used by fauclty and once understood, would also open more up to the idea of sharing thier materials as well.

I can see how faculty coud feel the need to have to create everything from scratch and have all orgional content. I think the idea that you can take parts (like a chapter from a textbook, or one activity from a unit) and tweek them to make your own is great!

Comfort Cover 1 year, 1 month ago

As I look through the various resources I found a great one to use, however it will only create a Google Classroom, is there a way to get the material into Canvas? Thanks, Dr. Fay

Tammy Powers 1 year, 1 month ago

1 I heard a lot of discussion about the best way to support and create content. I do appreciate the remix function that lends itself to creating when you don't have a lot of content premade.

2 I think I would prefer to create, because I didn't see a lot of research skills materials when I was looking. I will look again, of course. I probably need to search with different words to double check.

Linda Neff 1 year, 1 month ago

1. In our breakout room, we were trying to find the MS Word docs for the OpenStax Chemistry textbooks. We found them!  This opened the doors for three of us who were trying to figure out easier ways to modify the materials.

2. I would love an OER textbook or course on First Peoples of North America written from the perspective of members of each indigenous groups.

1. What did you hear in a breakout room (or main session) that connected with something you were considering for your OER Remix/Creation?  I have of materials to make available to others but I need to change them into a format that's easier to manipulate for non-Mac users.

2. Create?? Or Find?? If you could create or find exactly what you're looking for, what would it be? A guide to critical thinking in the sciences.

Joshua Tidwell 1 year, 1 month ago

1 - I really jsut enjoyed listening to other's experiences. For so long, I never thought of remixing OER. 

2 - Finding and remixing. I like to gamify assignments. So finding content and remixing it to allow some gamification. 

Erin Roper 1 year, 1 month ago

1. Just do it!

2. There are a lot of great library skills videos out there, but they often have personalized information about the specific library that made the video mixed in throughout the video or at the end. If I could find videos without personalized information or that could be easily removed, I would be very happy.

Monica Ketchum-Cardenas 1 year, 1 month ago

1. I wasn't able to participate in person, but I experimented with remixing on my own. I had always felt a bit confused about remixing, but find the OER Commons Remix process to be user-friendly and I'm no longer as intimidated by the process.

2. I think I'll do both, depending on the source availability. Remixing is a fantastic option in history to tweak content so that it resonates with the student populations that we serve here in the southwest.