Webinar Two - Feedback and Evaluation of OER

by Joanna Schimizzi 1 year, 2 months ago

Discusison Board Tip: Please reply directly to this prompt by clicking "reply" below. You will only see the "Reply" button if you are logged in and a member of the group.

Prompt:

1. What feature did you see in a resource today that you think is high priority for OER in your context?

2. How might OER evaluation fit into your local Community of Practice?

Kristin Juarez 1 year, 2 months ago

1. Relevancy, currency, and thoroughness.

2. With training, it could be useful.

John Hansen 1 year, 2 months ago

1. Different ways of teaching the annotated bibliography.

2. It would help screen for the best possible resources.

cynthia Martinez 1 year, 2 months ago

I am interested in where you saw the resource for teaching the annotated bibliography (or resources). 

Jacob Crawford 1 year, 2 months ago

I really did enjoy this session.  Knowing that there are informal and formal processed to evaluate OER materials really does help to elevate the value of OER materials.

Robyn Bryce 1 year, 2 months ago
  1. I am still very initial exploring phase.  I feel like everything I discover is something that inspires me to add or change to my own course builds.  
  2. I think that a community based ratiing system has validity.  While I usually only rate things that I really like or really dis like, using the community member star rating will help me to sift through materials by choosing ones to evaluate first by the higher rating.
Linda Neff 1 year, 2 months ago

I think both the evaluation and comment tools could really help boost the collaboration process across institutions in our consortium.

Micah Weedman 1 year, 2 months ago

1. User friendly design and layout.

2. Make overall course evaluation easier :)

Amita Engineer 1 year, 2 months ago

It is true, ease of navigation provided by good design and layout are extremely important for a resource.

Lindsay Masten 1 year, 2 months ago
  1. I saw references provided as a secondary page, with links included.
  2. I think evaluation and critique is always valuable, and might help the graphic design education community come together to craft new learning materials that better include DEI while maintaining a high standard of rigor.
Tama Kott 1 year, 2 months ago

1.  Overviews of other reviews.

2.  For specific field, community based gives an overview.

Definitely still learning how to assess what is available.

Joanna Schimizzi 1 year, 2 months ago

Tama -- I am seeing a lot of interest in specific fields collaborating. Some faculty in Arizona are really interested in Biology collaboration, so one of my goals for March is to try to create stronger opportunities for faculty to connect and collaborate. It should help reduce the time spent on "finding" resources and some time spent on evaluating resources. 

Tama Kott 1 year, 2 months ago

Joanna,

That is great, but music seems to be a different animal.  What is out there that I have found thus far, leaves a bit to be desired and I need to know specifically about Music Appreciation resources.

Steve Roark 1 year, 2 months ago

Searching ratings and comments during eval process.  Great place to start to narrow down the search.

cynthia Martinez 1 year, 2 months ago

I truly enjoyed this session. I have saved some resources and have more confidence in evaluating and providing feedback. I gained much in the breakout rooms, as although we work in different disciplines, we discovered we look for similar criteria.

Amita Engineer 1 year, 2 months ago

1. The ability to interact with a resource is a priority

2. As a group to work in collaborations, an evaluation is very critical and useful for development.

Erik Wilbur 1 year, 2 months ago

1. Accessibility characteristics (captioning / alternative text-based options for videos)

2. OER evalution could help people in my community develop resources that follow accessibility guidelines.

Gerald Gridiron 1 year, 2 months ago

1) Level category that specify the main audience of the content

2) Its always a plus to receive feedback from people from various backgrounds.

Mike Rozinski 1 year, 2 months ago

1) Interactive applets in a calculus textbook.

2) OER evaluation will promote growth in the current and future pool of resources. "Average" evaluations are just as important as "loved it" or "hated it" evaluations to give an accurate summary of a resource.

Joshua Tidwell 1 year, 1 month ago

I like the idea of "Average" evaluations. To me that speaks of something that could be great to remix, "It's a good source, but I would like to see ...". The soruce has the bones, but its average because you expect to see something more. 

Kelene Keating 1 year, 2 months ago

1. Current information and seeking resources that have high ratings.

2. I am always looking for resources that have actually been used and evaluated by professors. This is a great feature for me personally.

I wonder how often students find themselves in these space.  Have you come across any student evaluations?  

Can you tell us a little more about the ratings and search features that you found might be a high priority in your context?

Giovanna Macry 1 year, 2 months ago
  1. The use of objectives in a resource are helpful to identify a potentially useful resource.
  2. OER evaluation can contribute to a COP because it helps develop deep conversation about quality of materials, intitiate discussions on how to creatively use a resource, and then discuss how students respond and learn from the material.

Karly Schauwecker 1 year, 2 months ago
  1. What feature did you see in a resource today that you think is high priority for OER in your context?

One thing I'm a bit deficient on in my materials: photos and images. I learned about new open sources options for photos, which is awesome.

2. How might OER evaluation fit into your local Community of Practice?

My courses are being evaluated by our Instructional Designers (including Micah), so I feel comfortable. The scaffolding approach works well, so if you have completed QM training, that is a great foundation to know you're on track in your course design (hopefully :-)

Monica Ketchum-Cardenas 1 year, 2 months ago

I evaluated a textbook. I appreciated that it included a description of the resource and tags that indicated what disciplines it related to (it could be used in multiple disciplines)

The multiple ways that sources can be evaluated allow for filtering by relevance and quality, which can be useful when there are a lot of sources that may be 5-stars but not at the appropriate level for our students.  

Cesar Fuentes 1 year, 2 months ago

The information on how to better evaluate OER contributions was helpful.  It does require an equal amount of empathy and scrutiny all in the goal of enhancing the overall product.  Excellent info. shared by fellow faculty.

Laurel Clifford 1 year, 2 months ago

1.  What feature did you see in a resource today that you think is high priority for OER in your context?

We are looking to replace entire texts for our subject matter area, and there were several full-text OERs available in different levels.

2.  How might OER evaluation fit into your local Community of Practice?

A main concern is quality of the materials we use. Having the resource evaluations (when they are available) will help with decision-making and choosing OERs. There also seems to be resources with no evaluations at present. If we use the materials, we can help our colleagues by providing an evaluation (if we can find the time, alas! That's the tough part).

And a relevant xkcd comic for this week's session:   https://xkcd.com/1098/

Joseph Wharton 1 year, 2 months ago

1. Review and evaluation.

2. In my Area of instruction I like the evaluation rubric both for evaluating another work and for receiving any evaluations of my own work.

Tonya Jackson 1 year, 2 months ago
  1. What feature did you see in a resource today that you think is high priority for OER in your context? Relevance! The thing I love most about OER is being update to date! Science textbooks are out-of-date before they have dried from their original printing.

2. How might OER evaluation fit into your local Community of Practice?  People are always worried about quality.  If we spent more time on evaluation and improvements in small ways, we would all have great products.

Tammy Powers 1 year, 2 months ago

1 I would look for currency. I think the dynamic nature of these resources makes currency easier to achieve.

2 I think it would afford a starting point for everyone to work with, as in you practice providing feedback and think about how that impacts what you are creating.

Michael Wetta 1 year, 2 months ago

I think that the evaluate and comment features within the OER Commons can be a good way to quickly determine whether a particular resource may fit your needs.

As all textbooks are evaluated, it shouldn't be too hard to update the evaluation practices within an organization so that they are applicable to OER as well.

Carrie Meakins Farnsworth 1 year, 2 months ago

I think the rubric is high priority for OER in my context. As a librarian for all subject areas, being able to see how the content is evaluated by content experts (other faculty) will help me curate lists for the faculty I serve.

I like the comprehensiveness of the rubric, however I wonder if it is a bit too time consuming for many fauclty. I think there would be lots of good intentions to come back and fill out a rubric after giving a quick star review, but follow through most likely would not happen (again, due to time)

Robyn Bryce 1 year, 2 months ago

I think it depends on a person's focus and interest.  Think about all of the reviews on Amazon or Google.  There are people that will engage and make the time for the evauation.  There are people that won't.  I think if anything that might add to the vaidity of the evals. The people that complete them fully are doing it probably because they really believe what they are rating.

Anna Hammerle 1 year, 2 months ago

1. Ratings and written reviews of OER from other educators will be helpful, I think, as I research what sources I'd like to use.

2. My colleages at CCC are increasingly interested in (and involved in) working with OER to support student success and the OER Commons is a useful repository.

Karly Schauwecker 1 year, 2 months ago

Hi Anna, I agree on the value of OER Commons. In fact, I just uploaded a few resources there myself :-)

It is inspiring to view all the resources that are shared.

Karly

Tammy Powers 1 year, 2 months ago

Until our lesson, I hadn't thought about the review features.  I think that really helps address quality issues and with people new to OER, it is a great thing to review and then think about with your content. Good luck to you and your college.

Tony Noble 1 year, 2 months ago

I really got into the search function finally, amazing that I had not seen the filters and used them they are my goto on youtube,

Not sure how the evaluation will fit, depends if the criteria I am looking to integrate needs to be strongly evaluated

BAMBI PISH-DERR 1 year, 2 months ago

It took me most of the week to figure that out.  It's a great tool though!

Nik Byle 1 year, 2 months ago

1) Primary source material is important and difficult to find in OERs.

2) I could see using it prior to talking with fellow faculty about whether to adopt an OER.

BAMBI PISH-DERR 1 year, 2 months ago

1.  Finding a simple skills manual is priority for me right now

2.  Screens for better sources.

Joseph Wharton 1 year, 2 months ago

I hadn't thought about actually preparing material to go into the OER "universe" before these sessions.

Crystal McKenna 1 year, 2 months ago

1. Ability to be interactive and up-to-date

2. I think the phrase "eating the elephant one bit at a time" comes to mind here ... using ratings and comments to peruse through a few resources a week without trying to get lost in the rabbit hole.

Mike Rozinski 1 year, 2 months ago

Ha! I love that saying. I use it all the time when approaching difficult problems in my math classes. It's definitely applicable in our OER context.

Comfort Cover 1 year, 2 months ago

I am wondering if there are OERs for the Computer Field, I don't seem to find much. Any hints would be helpful. Also, How do you use the WWW in your OER. Thanks, Fay

Eric Osborn 1 year, 2 months ago

1.  Simplistic layouts for lesson sections with references and credits

2. Hierarchy of evals that provide a better overall view

Wendy Ashby 1 year, 2 months ago

1. Peer review can be done directly in the resource. Ours is a separate process using an internal rubric. I may rethink this for future iterations. 

2. Common evaluation is useful for strenghthening any community of practice. It is a key part of professional development that should be undertaken on a regular basis. 

Erin Roper 1 year, 1 month ago

I like that the review can be done in the resource too. One less place to go to complete work is always appreciated!

Joshua Tidwell 1 year, 1 month ago

1 - I never thought about reviewing the comments that my peers left and how helpful this can be.

2 - I think it is a great way to revise and remix.Your peers are already pointing out areas they saw and its a way to continue to apply and move forward, especially after multiple remixes of the same source. 

Erin Roper 1 year, 1 month ago
  1. The comments are helpful for me since I am not a content expert. My role (librarian) is to pull resources for the content experts (faculty), but I still want to pull the best that I can so seeing what others thought about the resource will be helpful. 

2. I've been asked to do OER evaluation for licensing/copyright in the past, so I am faimilar with that part of the eval process.