Open Source Media for Course Builds

by Robyn Bryce 1 year, 2 months ago

Over the years, I have collected so many free or low cost tools to up the design and deployment value of my courses.  Recently, I spent hours searching for the openly licensed images to add to course builds to add that curb appeal.  I found a couple great resources for images:

What openly sourced and licensed media sites, are your favorite for images, graphics, video, audio, and content creation?

Lindsay Masten 1 year, 2 months ago

I use Unsplash often and introduce it to my students as a resource for openly licensed images. (As part of this, I teach them to not steal images from the internet because many don't realize that all images they find online aren't "free"!)

cynthia Martinez 1 year, 2 months ago

Unsplash was the one I have used for some time and have found to have a nice array of offerings.

Erik Jones 1 year, 2 months ago

Can you just link to a YouTube video for video content?  That is the only OER type resource I use for my courses right now.

Erik

Lindsay Masten 1 year, 2 months ago

By default, most Youtube videos aren't openly licensed—their creators retain the initial copyright for the content that automatically exists upon initial creation/publication.

However, you can A) search Youtube for content with more open licenses, and B) my understanding—someone correct if I'm wrong—is that an "OER course" can link to traditionally copyrighted material so long as that material is a link, and not embedded in the course shell. (That might be a Yavapai College policy.)

Micah Weedman 1 year, 2 months ago

If you display the YouTube video in its original context--by, for example, embedding it in a Canvas page--the general YouTube license typically allows for that.  If you wish to "remix" the content that's in the video, then it would have to have the appropriate CC license to do that.

Joanna Schimizzi 1 year, 1 month ago

One note I wanted to share is that I saw recently that UnSplash recently changed from Public Domain to custom license, so keep an eye on your attributions if you use those resources.

Joshua Tidwell 1 year, 1 month ago

Is anyone using a paid music or photo source like Epidemic sound? How does this work for OER content?