Webinar One Discussion Board - Sharing Quickly and Longer Term

by Joanna Schimizzi 1 year, 3 months ago

Discusison Board Tip: Please reply directly to this prompt by clicking "reply" below. You will only see the "Reply" button if you are logged in and a member of the group.

Prompt:

1. What do you envision that you could share quickly with this group?

2. What might you want to work on to share that will be a longer time vision?

cynthia Martinez 1 year, 3 months ago

I envision building an OER collection which meets my standards and needs, as well as provides my students with what they need.

For the future, I want to build my own confidence and knowledge in using OER.

Lindsay Masten 1 year, 3 months ago

I envision creating original, individual OER materials that are timely and relevant for my students.

Longer term, I'd like to be able to encorporate these materials into a digital textbook that is accessible to students and shareable across courses in my program.

Joanna Schimizzi 1 year, 3 months ago

Lindsay - This is really exciting! I am a creator also - it sparks my commitment as well. Remind me - what content area are you?

Lindsay Masten 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm in graphic design. One of the problematic issues I often face in my courses is that design has a pretty high inherent cost of entry (software costs, equipment costs, etc.) so it's my goal to mitigate as many secondary costs as possible. 

Crystal McKenna 1 year, 3 months ago

I have been working with SoftChalk using OER materials and I could help others get familiar with this platform. 

I need more time to make sure that everything I have created is properly attirbuted and is on the up and up then I will feel more comfortable sharing :) Mostly biology and environmental science course related.

Tammy Powers 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello Crystal-Tell us more about SoftChalk. I don't know if I have heard of that one. What do you like about that method so far?

Have a good day!

Tammy

Tama Kott 1 year, 3 months ago

Envision gathering information and learning more about what is available.

Decide what might make sense to include in courses and possibly develop.

Amita Engineer 1 year, 3 months ago

Working with my team on a BIO Intro Lab Manual and hope to share some learnings from that collaboration.
Longer term, hope to share what was developed for that manual with this group.

Robyn Bryce 1 year, 3 months ago
  1. I envision working with instructors on their course builds using and reviewing OER 
  2. Building my foundation of OER.  Right now I am working on recognizing OER inately.  I still have questions and confusion on what is and what isn't and sometimes why is this considered OER.  As I see it, there seems to be hard and fast rules that also have gray areas; however, perhaps this is my misconception.
Eric Osborn 1 year, 3 months ago

Use the OER Hub that we created for this grant, and save your resources there.  https://www.oercommons.org/hubs/opentextruralaz 

Building common coures across the state.

John Hansen 1 year, 3 months ago

Hi Eric,

Would each school build different sections of the course?

Best,

John

Tonya Jackson 1 year, 3 months ago

Essentially, you're just sharing what would/could go in a course.  It's not as structured as our masters at MCC.

Jacob Crawford 1 year, 3 months ago

I would share that we have a collective knowledge that is an amazing resource to create and adapt materials that will be useful for our students and not require them to pay unreasonably for their education. 

My plan is to use, create, and share OERs for our History, Humanities, and Arts courses at MCC 

Sandra Rath 1 year, 3 months ago

I envision adopting an OER textbook for my Intercultural Communication course that includes relevant and timely information.

If I am not able to find an OER textbook for the Intercultural class, then I might work on creating one on my own or in collaboration with other Communication Faculty.

Wendy Ashby 1 year, 3 months ago

I would like to practice merging and editing faculty training OERs into one document - partly to have a wider audience for my knowledge base, but to also be able to assist faculty better with this process. I get conflicting advice on authoring and editing and this has already caused frustrations for my faculty.

John Hansen 1 year, 3 months ago

I'd like to reach out to other English faculty and see what they do for OER.

Hopefully the OER textbook our department is currently working on can be added to the repository and assist other faculty.

Giovanna Macry 1 year, 3 months ago
  1. I am not sure what I could share quickly at the moment as I am not teaching, but here to learn how to support faculty in their OER work.  
  2. I envision sharing resources that provide faculty ideas and structures for instructional strategies.
Joseph Wharton 1 year, 3 months ago

I would like to provide my students with up to date quality information in the area of CAD/ Architectural/ and Mechanical Drafting.

In the long run perhaps develope my own material to add into this disipline.

Karly Schauwecker 1 year, 3 months ago

A quick share: a link to OpenStax or another resource

A project: I would love to collaborate with like-minded colleagues on creative assignments for my courses in sociology and psychology. I am always looking for new resources to better meet the needs of our ever-changing students.

Karly

Carrie Meakins Farnsworth 1 year, 3 months ago

I have begun to curate resource lists for faculty based on learning objectives/outcomes for specific classes.

For a longer term vision I would like to find ways to share those curated lists with other faculty members who are teaching simaler learning objectives.

Monica Ketchum-Cardenas 1 year, 3 months ago

I can share resources that I have found and vetted with the group in the short term and I envision sharing a OER textbook or collection of curated OER materials for a class in the future. I'm looking forward to collaborating with others across the state.

Kelene Keating 1 year, 3 months ago

I do not envision sharing anything right now.  My colleagues and I are working on developing our own OER lab manuals for BIO 181 and 182.  Our goal is to have this ready for next fall semester.  We will most definitely share this once completed.

Steve Roark 1 year, 3 months ago

Share quickly - resources for applied math (math for trades) course including lab type activities

Long term - collecting existing and/or creating oer applied math text with problem sets

BAMBI PISH-DERR 1 year, 3 months ago

I am excited to be a part of this group but right now I am very new so mainly i being my interest and enthusiasm

I want to review and build  resource list of nursing tests to Sundays.

Michael Wetta 1 year, 3 months ago

As a librarian who is not actually creating OER but assisting others, one thing that I could quickly share with this group is that your librarians have developed a number of different resources to assist with finding and making use of OER.  While we might not have any formal training with OER, we are here to assist you.

Laurel Clifford 1 year, 3 months ago

What do you envision that you could share quickly with this group?

I am aware of multiple OER resources out there on the web for math courses and care share these links. I have some activities and problem solvings I can share.

What might you want to work on to share that will be a longer time vision?

I would like to build OER materials for specific math courses which there are fewer resources, specifically Math for Elementary Teachers courses.

Tony Noble 1 year, 3 months ago

As far a sharing soon, it is difficult to know what I will have to contribute in just a few weeks

For long term as I build new classes I would like to have the materials be OER based, likely collated to align with the weekly topics

Jeannine Klein 1 year, 3 months ago

1. I have an infographic assignment I use in my courses that could be adapted for use in a variety of disciplines.

2. I am working on developing some materials for an intercultural unit in social psychology.

Erin Roper 1 year, 3 months ago

1. I did some searching for OER ENG 101 resources a few years ago and found some promising textbooks.

2. I would like to compile a list of interactive tools/activities for instructors to help increase engagement in online OER courses.

Abigail Jaimes-Gomez 1 year, 3 months ago
  1.  In addition to this regional consortium, I have found resources/events provided by the Community College Consortium for OER (CCCOER) helpful to learning more about OER, open pedagogy, and similar initiatives. Their community email group is very active and people are continuously sharing resources and helping to answer questions. 

2.  I would like to collect/share resources that can be shared with faculty who are new to the OER journey and are interested in using/adapting/revising/creating OER materials. 

Linda Neff 1 year, 3 months ago

I envision that I will be supporting CCC faculty as they find, modify, and share their OER.

I might want to work on an instructional design training that focuses on the Community of Inquiry Model.

Tammy Powers 1 year, 3 months ago

I think I could be a good sounding board for someone who is thinking about OER material.  I also think I could help edit something, if someone needed a reader. 

My long term vision is creating OER materials that support students in a general way like the library does. I would think everyone could benefit from a library module.

Erik Wilbur 1 year, 3 months ago

1. At Mohave Community College, we're working on OER Canvas modules for Developmental English and Composition One. Those modules could be shared quickly.

2. Long-Term, I would like to develop complete OER Canvas courses for English Composition I and Composition II.

Gerald Gridiron 1 year, 3 months ago

1) I envision creating OER materials pertaining to buidling a data infrastructure for any entity.

2) You can never learn too much so my vision is improving education towards at risk students

Anna Hammerle 1 year, 3 months ago

1. I would like to remix an existing OER to use in my composition classes.

2. it will take me some time to research different resources, consider how I might like to use or remix them, and then put them together as a full text for my students.

Nik Byle 1 year, 3 months ago

1) I'm familiar with how to use Wikisources to find primary sources.

2) I'm starting on an OER for Intro to Logic, specifically a homework platform that will hopefully mimic the Cengage I use now.

Joshua Tidwell 1 year, 2 months ago

1 - Short time I imagine using this course as a community to share ideas and to quickly obtain information.

2 - Long term, I envision a discussion and focus ont he long term adaption of OER materials. What is the current rate of adoption of OER at other institutions and what are they doing to improve the rate of adoption?