Welcome and Introductions (Webinar One)

by Joanna Schimizzi 1 year, 4 months ago

Discusison Board Tip: Please reply directly to this prompt by clicking "reply" below. You will only see the "Reply" button if you are logged in and a member of the group.

Prompt: Please share the following about yourself:

1. What is your name and institution?

2. How have you interacted with copyright and licensing before?

3. How do you see yourself using OER in your position?

Erin Roper 1 year, 3 months ago

Hi, my name is Erin Roper and I am a librarian at Mohave Community College in Kingman, AZ. I've provided guidance and information on copyright and licensing to faculty, staff, and students. I also co-built an OER study skills course with a faculty member. I think my use of OER will increase in my position as more faculty begin to request help finding material for their courses.

Tonya Jackson 1 year, 3 months ago

Hi Erin! EVERYONE, Erin is one of the wonderful Librarian Magicians that is remarkably helpful to the faculty here at MCC!

Giovanna Macry 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello!  I am Gio Macry and I am the Instructional Technology Advisor at Coconino Community College in Flagstaff, AZ.  My experience with copyright and licensing over the last year is pretty limited to reviewing some of the OER tutorials at our institution, a few resources from Open Text Rural Arizona, and various workshops on the topic.  I will help review OER courses at CCC so I am looking forward to the sessions and interactions with the cohort to learn more.

Dr. Michelle Davis 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello Everyone,

I am Dr. Michelle Davis and I teach courses at Mohave Community College, I have been an Adjunct here since 2007. I have not had to deal with the topics of licensing or copyright over the years, and I am here to find out what OER is all about and how I can use it.

Linda Neff 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello, I am Linda Neff, and I am the Instructional Designer at Coconino Community College. I have given several faculty workshops on copyright, and developed the OER Tutorials (by modifying Abbey Elder's OER Starter Kit and adapting it to the Canvas environment) for our consortium.  I am definitely NOT an expert by any means -- just trying to support our faculty who have questions.  I look forward to learning from you!

Anna Hammerle 1 year, 3 months ago

Hey Linda! Thanks for the invitation to this workshop. I'm looking forward to it.

Lindsay Masten 1 year, 3 months ago

Hi Linda, thanks for your insights in the breakout room, I'd love to chat with you more when I'm feeling better :)

Naomi Urquidez 1 year, 3 months ago

My name is Naomi Urquidez I work with Eastern Arizona College here at the Globe Campus. Never have interacted with copyright or licensing before. Hope to see myself using this resource for the instructors and students in my institution. I do the bookstore for the campus and help instructors get their material for the classes they will be teaching. 

Nathan Cline 1 year, 3 months ago

I am so glad to see you on this discussion board. I hope you get something out of these trainings.

John Hansen 1 year, 3 months ago

Hi All,

My name is John Hansen and I'm English faculty at Mohave Community College. A few of us from the English department are currently putting materials together and hope to compile this information into an OER textbook. As a result, copyright and licensing are fairly fresh in my mind. I use OER materials in my developmental and composition courses. These materials help supplement and reinforce outcomes, competencies, and objectives.

Best,

John Hansen

Tony Noble 1 year, 3 months ago

My name is Tony Noble and am adjunct faculty at Mohave Community College and Oregon Coast Community Colllege, I have taken a course through OpenOregon on copyright and licensing but remember little from it. I currently use openstax in Oregon but am interested in developing my own materials for future classes.

Hi Tony!  I didn't know you were with OCCC too! I've participated in some of their programming, they do such a great job.  Adopting and adapting OER is such an enriching experience as an instructor and it can make classes that much more engaging for students too.  It drives me crazy in science-- the books are out of date and behind the times before they are even printed, let alone six months in.  Our fields are so complex and ever expanding.  Using OER can help showcase to students that their fields are constantly in flux and evolving.  How much more intellectually stratifying is that to learn than attempting to memorize definitions or read dry explanations using archaic references?

Tony Noble 1 year, 3 months ago

We are working on developing a stronger business program at OCCC and I am specifically looking to create or at least collate my own resources for project management.

Mary Weber 1 year, 3 months ago

Hi, I'm Mary Weber, and I'm an adjunct communications instructor at Mesa Community College, Park University Gilbert, and Central AZ College. I know what OER is, but not much more. I have students each semester that struggle to afford textbooks, so I want to learn more about how I can curate and utilize OER for my classes.

How wonderful!  OER really does make a huge difference for students.  I always come back to an alarming statistic-- in AZ 68% of students go without textbooks due to cost and just try to do the best they can in their courses!  It's a sad fact but I use it to stress to my faculty that students want to succeed in their courses. Imagine how much more rich and engaging class can be if everyone can come prepared and participate?

Hello! I am Tonya Jackson and I'm the associate dean of instruction over STEM at Mohave Communtiy College.  As we hunt for a new team member, I am currently working with our English and Communications faculty as well.  I've done quite a bit of work in the OER space although I leave the big licensing questions to our wonderful group of librarians (magicians, every single one of them).  My passion for OER is love lived! As a faculty, I moved all of my courses into the realm of OER as part of our biology team.  Now, as Dean, I'm lucky enough to watch others pick up the torch and run with it as well. We're now an almost entirely OER STEM department and are looking forward to calling the transition 100% in the next two years!

Megan Cleary Moungey 1 year, 3 months ago

Hi! I'm Megan Cleary Moungey and I'm an Anthropology instructor at Cochise College. My interactions with copyright and licensing have usually been in the form of that would be a great resource for my students, but I can't use it due to copyright/licensing. I currently use OER textbooks in two of my courses and would like to use them in more, but the subjects do not have good OER options. I would love to see OERs have the same ancillary materials as major textbooks.

Hi Megan,

I am also an anthropology instructor, but I teach for Coconino Community College.  I use OER in my cultural, biological, linguistics, and Ancient Maya, Aztecs, and Inca courses.  I haven't found a good archaeology book yet -- my field of particular interest!

Linda

Megan Cleary Moungey 1 year, 3 months ago

Hi Linda! 

Thank you for reaching out. I use the Perspectives and Explorations texts from SACC (Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges) for my Cultural and Bio classes respectively. I know the SACC is working on Traces: An Open Invitation to Archaeology which I'm really looking forward to. We just added an Ancient Aztec, Inca, and Maya course for Fall 2024. I would love to hear about your OERs for that course.

Steve Roark 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello - Steve Roark from Cochise College in Sierra Vista.  I am working to develope OER for our Applied Mathematics course.  It serves students working on some of our Applied Science Degrees including auto, welding, digital media,...

Nathan Cline 1 year, 3 months ago

My name is Nathan Cline from Eastern Arizona College in Thatcher. I am so excited to be a part of this group so that we may all expand our knowledge and understanding of OER. I'm the principal investigator for OER at EAC and an Environmental Biology Professor. I'm working on my own build and hope to finish in a couple of months.

Monica Ketchum-Cardenas 1 year, 3 months ago

Hi! i'm Monica and I'm a professor of history and sociology at Arizona Western college in Yuma, AZ. I am familiar with the types of copyright and licensing that are used in OER, but I have never used them to licese or copyright anything of my own. I currently use OER textbooks for about 80% of the courses that I teach and would like to find and/or create OER options for the the other classes.

Karly Schauwecker 1 year, 3 months ago

Hi Monica, I also teach sociology at Yavapai. I take it you're using OpenStax for SOC 101? I am currently re-tooling that and my OER Social Problems course, which I will be happy to share with the consortium.

What else do you teach at AZ Western?

Karly

Monica Ketchum-Cardenas 1 year, 3 months ago

Hi Karly-

On the Sociology side I teach SOC 101 and Social Problems. I've been using the OpenStax Socioloy text for about a year and my goal is to have Social Problems OER beginning in the Fall, so I'd love to see what you've been doing with Social Problems.

I have only been teaching Sociology since 2020, but I've been teaching history for about 20 years and have most of my courses using OER (US, World, Western Civ, Mexico). I hope to develop an OER for Arizona history and Women in American History.

What other Sociology classes do you teach at Yavapai?

Monica

Hi Monica,

This term, I'm teaching Sociology of the Family, 8 weeks, through March, and then Social Problems will be March to May. I am hopeful I'll have the course done by March, but it could be an "as I go" kind of thing, I'm a bit swamped at the moment, building another class for an adjunct in behavioral health.

Karly

cynthia Martinez 1 year, 3 months ago

I am Cynthia Martinez, Professor of English at Arizona Western College. I currently use OER in my ENG 101 courses and am previewing and orienting myself with what is available for ENG 102.  While I have been introduced to  copyright and licensing in prior PD/webinars, I am definitely not an expert. 

Tammy Powers 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello-sounds like a great start! Is your department involved in OER across the board or was this your effort?

Hi Tammy,

OER is widely used, but it is also somewhat hodge podge. I view this as an opportunity to create an OER which is more than sufficient.

Cynthia

Erik Wilbur 1 year, 3 months ago

I've gathered a lot of resources for English 101 and 102. If you need a resource for a particular concept, email me at ewilbur@mohave.edu. I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Mike Rozinski 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello, I'm Mike Rozinski. I teach math(s) and stats at Mohave Community College as a full time faculty member. I know the bare minimum about Creative Commons copyright and licensing, so I'm exciting to have the opportunity to learn more. I've been developing and adopting OER material for my students over the past few years. I believe that faculty are ultimately the ones who make the decision to transition courses to OER. So, the more that faculty know about OER, then the more accessible education will be for our students.

Steve Roark 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello Mike - I teach mathematics at Cochise College.  I have not used OER as texbook replacement yet...  However working on one for our Applied Mathematics course for auto, welding students etc..

Mike Rozinski 1 year, 3 months ago

Hey Steve! That's awesome that you're collaborating with your career and technical areas. I wonder if there are OER materials out there for those types of topics to build on.

Hello everyone!

I'm Karly and teach FT (sociology, psychology, and communication) at Yavapai College. (Yes, I am a professional student, re: my latest venture, I am one class away from earning my baking and pastry certificate ;-)

I have to say, I have been pretty much "plug and play" with my OER courses so far, meaning that I have happily adopted Canvas shells from the California Consortium (PSY 101 and SOC 101) and plugged in my assignments. My initial efforts at creating my own OER classes were a little clumsy (I'm blaming it on the non-accessible course shell templates we were using here at YC), but I am currently re-tooling several sociology classes and will share them with the AZ consortium later this spring/early summer.

Meanwhile, my latest venture has been to create several new classes for our new Behavioral Health Technician program. I built the first two classes (a Career class and a Professional Resiliency class) using a combination of OpenStax and Open RN resources. Well now I am totally stumped trying to find resources for a behavioral health ethics class. (I'm at the point of all caps, HELP!! ;-)

This will be my project in this workshop!

Karly

Erin Roper 1 year, 3 months ago

Your new program and courses sound very timely, interesting and handy. I could see a good chunk of our students at Mohave Community College being interested in that program. I'll have to keep an eye out for your project!

Tama Kott 1 year, 3 months ago

Greetings,

Dr. Tama Kott, CCC; Arts and Humanities, Music.  Have dealt with copyroght laws and rentals in a number of capacities.  Also dealt with International Copyright and estate concerns.  Thus far, it seems that some of the OER copyright laws overlap and others do not.

My objective is to research OER materials and gather information and data.  The Music Appreciation courses I teach on-line and in person do NOT require texts.  Therefore, how the information will be used and or implemented, remains to be seen.

Looking forward to learning and gathering infomation, knowledge is always welcome!

Mark Whiteley 1 year, 3 months ago

I am Mark Whiteley and I am a psychology professor at Yavapai College. I am the OER faculty coordinator here. I do have a little experience with licensing but not much. I use OER in my courses, mostly materials created by others and my own assignments. I'm mostly interested in learning more so I can be a better resource for other faculty. 

Hi there, I'm Anna from Coconino Community College in Flagstaff. I teach English. Happy to be here! Thanks to Gio and Linda for making me aware of this opportunity. :) I attended the Big Ideas Fest in Half Moon Bay years ago when I was a high school teacher and was really impressed with ISKME as an organization, so I was really excited to see this offering.

I have some knowledge of copyright law and less knowledge of licensing. My students compose multimodal projects as their final assignment in my College Composition II course, so we discuss basic concepts around fair use and where to find open source materials online. I'm excited to learn more.

Each semester it seems like more and more students report that they can't afford the textbooks and I have serious concerns about the ways in which access to course materials, and moreover the general cost of living in our area impacts our students' ability to be successful. It seems like OER is a step in the right direction toward alleviating at least some of the challenges our students face. Our English department seems to be moving in the direction of adopting OER over traditional textbooks.

Looking forward to learning with you all!

Mark Whiteley 1 year, 3 months ago

It seems like a lot of instructors that use OER are English professors. Any thoughts as to why that is?

Hi Mark, good question. I wonder if there are more resources available for English to adapt into OER. I'm not sure, though. 

Daniela Ayala 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello Everyone! My name is Daniela and I am from Arizona Western College in Yuma, AZ. My knowledge on copyright and licensing is limited but would like retcify that. I just started using OER materials such as textbooks in my courses and would like to learn more about them!

Abigail Jaimes-Gomez 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello Daniela, 

I am a copyright/licensing newbie too! I am so happy we have the opportunity to participate in this learning academy that will help us develop this knowledge together. I am looking forward to learning more and connecting with peers from around the state!

Nik Byle 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello, my name is Nik Byle. I'm a full-time philosophy professor at Arizona Western College. I haven't interacted much with copyright and licensing other than being frustrated by how copyright makes OER much more difficult. I would like all my classes to use OER. So far only one of my courses does, but I've joined this group after getting the go-ahead to create one for logic.

Nik

Eric Osborn 1 year, 3 months ago

Eric Osborn - Mohave Community College

10+ years of experience with OER, first adopting and removing the items with copyrights, then creation and giving it away with creative commons non-commercial.  I've published images, texts, lab manuals, presentations, and full courses.  I live by the rule, "If I don't like it, I'll make it better".  I tell other faculty if you don't like the OER being used, then make your own.  If you are intelligent and qualified enough to teach a class you can make your own materials.

I use OER every day because everything I use is mine or rarely another OER publisher.  When the course changes so do my materials, I'm not bound to anything but the objectives.

Amita Engineer 1 year, 3 months ago

Hi Eric,

I agree, the best way OERs can be used effectively is when Faculty bring their own toolbox to the classroom.

Tammy Powers 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello from the Alumni Library here at Eastern Arizona College.  My name is Tammy Powers and I have been here for two years and counting. As a librarian, copyright is a common topic, but the licensing part is a recent addition. OER is something that we advocate for from a library perspective. We provide finding assistance when requested.

Hi Tammy,

I also have found that copyright has been the common topic. As an educator, it was that topic that also made me hesitant to implement OER.

Cynthia

Amita Engineer 1 year, 3 months ago

Amita Engineer, Life Sceince Faculty at Mohave Community College.
I haven't had to interact with copyright and licensing directly per se but have had to be aware of it to avoid conflict in this age of multimedia educational resources and the use of LMS to post the resources for students to peruse.
Currently our institution and in particular the Biology team makes profuse use of OERs so I see myself continuing with it.

Jacob Crawford 1 year, 3 months ago

Glad to be a member of the Group!  I am Jacob Crawford at Mohave Community College. I am familiar with OERs and have used them in several courses.  We are adding two more History courses with OER offerings!  Glad to help remove the cost of textbooks as a hurdle to education. 

Robyn Bryce 1 year, 3 months ago

I live in Bullhead City my first three years in Arizona and taught at Mohave High School.  Do you know John Drexler?  He adjuncts at MCC.

Sandra Rath 1 year, 3 months ago

Hi everyone, my name is Sandy Rath of Central Arizona College. I haven't interacted with copyright and licensing directly, but I did take a couple of workshops sharing the different licensing types. Currently, I use OER in two of my courses and have found that they are working well for my students.

Carrie Meakins Farnsworth 1 year, 3 months ago

Carrie Meakins Farnsworth at Yavapai College.

I have not really worried about copyright as a teacher but now that I am working full time as the OER librarian I am quickly learning how to have a decerning eye. 

I hope to be a strong support for faulty in using OER. I want to help resolve the overwhelming barrier and be able to continue to find updated and new information for faculty to keep thier resources current. I want to be a time saver for fauclty. 

Hi Carrie, when I'm feeling better (and less contagious) I'm going to make sure to come by and chat with you at YC.

Hi, I'm Lindsay Masten, and I'm new faculty at Yavapai College, where I'm the program lead for Graphic Design. 

I have worked a LOT with copyright before in industry as a profressional designer, art director, and creative director. My perspective on OER is definitely colored by this past.

I am using OER in my classes (I'm rewriting all the core classes in the YC Graphic Design curriculum currently), but my courses themselves aren't classified as OER yet. I am 100%, enthusiastically pro using individual OER materials, but I have hesitations about whole OER courses.

Erik Wilbur 1 year, 3 months ago

My name is Erik Wilbur. I am a full-time English faculty member at Mohave Community College. I have been interacting with copyright and licensing a lot recently while assembling OER texts and LMS modules for English 101 and English 102. I use OER to deliver students with accessible and tailored course content.

Hi Erik,

I am using OER texts for my ENG 101, and am creating a hodge podge for my future courses of ENG 102.

Cynthia Martinez 

Kristin Juarez 1 year, 3 months ago

Kristin L. Juarez, Cochise College

I don't know that I have interacted with copyright and licensing before, but I have been using OER for years.

OER is all that we use in the Psychology Department here at Cochise College.

Julia Hull 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm Juila Hull. I work at Coconino Community College as an adjunct. I teach biology and forestry courses. I also help manage BIO 182 labs at Northern Arizona University. 

We used to use the OpenStax textbook in BIO 181 at CCC. 

I plan on helping Sarah S. to develop an OER lab manual for BIO 181 at CCC. I will also get my Hardy Weinburg lab I developed at NAU as an OER.

Crystal McKenna 1 year, 3 months ago

Hi everyone! My name is Crystal McKenna and I teach Biology and Environmental Science at Central Arizona College - Maricopa Campus.

I have briefly dived into licensing of OER products and got a little glassy-eyed with the minutia. Prior to that I have the typical experience with "You can't copy that!" with publishers and other resources. 

I am in the "transition" stage of OER. I am using it but I am not sure if I am doing so properly/within the rules. So I am here to learn and be better and do better for my students!

Is anyone else using SoftChalk in coordination with OER? This has been my latest project, but I am defintely still learning!

Robyn Bryce 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello.  My name is Robyn Bryce.  I am an instructional designer at Yavapai College in Prescott, Arizona.  I have interacted with Copyright and licensing before as an educator over the past two decades.  Now as an ID I find more involvement in with licencing.  I imagine I will be using OER to build and improve my own courses as well as in during the evaluation process in Online, OER, and Free and Reduced curriculum.

Joseph Wharton 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello, my name is Joe Wharton, I am The new (first year) CAD drafting Professor at Arizona Western College.  I am trying to find OER data for CAD drafting and well as architectural and mechanical drafting that is up to date.  I am also trying to learn all I can about OER.

Wendy Ashby 1 year, 3 months ago

I am Wendy Ashby. I work at the Faculty Support Center for Cochise College. I am a textbook author and have done some work with copyright, etc. I am newly versed in OER and CC licensing - still learning the finer points. I am responsible for quality control and assissting faculty with content aspects of OER and work closely with our librarians regarding licensing and other copyright issues.

Kelene Keating 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello.  My name is Kelene Keating.  I teach a variety of Biology courses for Mohave Community College. I have interacted with copyright and licensing material before using various textbooks and lab manuals. I will be using OER resources in all of my classes as that is what MCC has transitioned to. I will be honest here and say I am not in love with a few of the OER textbooks from OpenStax.  However, I was reminded today that I can modify my resources and curriculum to suit our needs and purposes. 

Michael Wetta 1 year, 3 months ago

Hi Kelene.

Absolutely.  One of the best aspects of OER, in my opinion, is that they can be easily altered and combined to fit your needs.  While many subject areas may have a fairly concrete set of concepts that will be covered, there are other subject areas that are more variable in what is covered and how it is addressed, which makes the ability to 'remix' these resources absolutely necessary.

Michael Wetta 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello, my name is Michael Wetta and I am a Librarian at Northland Pioneer College.  

Before I started working with OER, I am going to say that the only time I worried about copyright and licensing was when the original Napster site was getting shut down.

As a librarian, the tasks that I am mainly responsible for in regards to the OER grant project is to assist faculty and others in identifying possible open resources that fit their needs.

BAMBI PISH-DERR 1 year, 3 months ago

Bambi PishDerr

Yavapai College

this is all brand new to me!

i want to bring more no cost text book classes to the nursing

Laurel Clifford 1 year, 3 months ago

Greetings and salutations!  Laurel Clifford; math person from Mohave Community College, Lake Havasu Campus.

I have used and written materials with Creative Commons licensing.  I remember the first time I dove in to OER, it was scary as I hadn't been overly careful about copyright since I was using publishers' materials with a license for my limited use.  Moving away from publisher materials, I had to reconsider the examples I used in class (what is from X publisher's text--can't use that again! Do I even remember where I got this example? Oh crud, this data set was from that Stats book--where can I get real data that's not from a copyrighted source?) and it became a bit of a mine field. But it's a minefield which can be navigated :-).

We are moving as much as we can toward OER materials with our students for its flexibility, adaptability, and affordability. I say this a lot: I don't want students choosing between their groceries and their textbook.

And sharing today's xkcd cartoon, by Randall Monroe: (licensed uncer a CC BY-NC 2.5 Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.)

Coordinate Plane Closure

Jeannine Klein 1 year, 3 months ago

Dr. Jeannine Klein, Mohave Community College (MCC), Social and Behavioral Sciences

At my former institution, I was actually responsible for vetting materials that went into common curriculum to ensure it met all copyright and licensing requirements; we also created our own course reading packages that included faculty-created materials such as videos, interactives, etc. I'm currently working with OpenStax on creation of a Lifespan Development textbook. :-)

As others have noted, at MCC we have been working to move our courses into OER materials. Currently 3 of the courses I teach do use OER!

Abigail Jaimes-Gomez 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello everyone, 

My name is Abigail Jaimes-Gomez and I am an Educational Developer at Mohave Community College. In my former role as faculty, our department utilized open resource material. At that time, I was familiar with copyright but did not have an in-epth understanding of different licensing options. With the support of the resources developed by this group, I have learned a lot more about creative commons licensing and proper use of OER materials. I would like to learn more about OER development and use to be able to connect resources to colleagues and offer more support for faculty. 

Hi Everyone!

My name is Linda Neff, and I work for Coconino Community College as both an adjunct anthropology instructor and the instructional designer for the Teaching and Learning Center.  I have interacted with copyright and licensing before by giving workshops on the topics as well as creating my own OER materials.  I am an advocate and avid proponent of OER.  I use it probably four of my anthropology courses right now.

Look forward to working with all of you!

Linda

Joshua Tidwell 1 year, 2 months ago

Hello, my name is Joshua Tidwell and I am the Director for Faculty Teaching and Learning at Central Arizona College. I have not interacted with copyright and licensing prior to this. I have started to look more into copyright now that I am taking a deeper look into OER. I would like to see OER adopted more at our college, but I would also like to find OER materials for faculty training.