SLASL Webinar #1 Pre-work

by Joanna Schimizzi 7 years, 2 months ago

Hello -- We are excited to support you as your team begins working in the template. Prior to getting started, please do 2 small tasks:

1) Watch this 10 minute video on how standards are used in the template.

https://www.oercommons.org/authoring/19968-slasl-webinar-1-self-paced-video/view

2) Please reply below with one specific part of the template that you'd like to discuss as a cohort. 

Lauren Schultz 7 years, 2 months ago

I am familiar with the CCSS literacy standards, so I would like to discuss the science standards further.  In addition, the template mentions the Next Generation Science Standards, and I would like to discuss those further. 

Christina Segura 7 years, 2 months ago

I have an understanding of the science and literacy standards but would like some clarifying information on the NGSS Crosscutting Concepts. 

Beth Slater 7 years, 2 months ago

It's not an important piece at this moment, but Part VIII has me questioning what this is supposed to look like and if there is a reference somewhere that could help in determining what prior knowledge is needed. 

Amy Moore 7 years, 2 months ago

I would like to discuss further how to create Part V (Essential Question) since I think it is going to be very important to have a unit guiding question that really connected to the standards but also guides the students enough to get them to learn the required information but does not limit them in their learning or inquiry process. 

Anne Bucci 7 years, 2 months ago

I agree with Amy. I am really interested in the direction to take with the essential question(s). I think most of the parts of the template are fairly self-explanatory, but I want to get the standards chosen and essential questions written to drive the focus of the lesson design. I want to have enough connection around these things that I don't feel boxed into the project template.

Justin Pierce 7 years, 2 months ago

I'm also interested in discussing Part V (Essential Question). How open ended or debatable can it become? Are we tied to just one essential question or could we create supporting driving questions for each section/portion of our text(s)?

Kristen Johnson 7 years, 2 months ago

Discussions on NGSS crosscutting concepts, deconstructing standards and creating essential questions would be of great benefit.

Lori Zeman 7 years, 2 months ago

I am interested in working with my team to breakdown the literacy standards we chose during our time together and to see if they are still relevant to where our project is going. 

Robin Williams 7 years, 2 months ago

We are still working on our standards that we are addressing so I am looking forward to that as well as learning more about the essential question we are using. 

Laura Armstrong 7 years, 2 months ago

I agree with Robin, as the direction for the math standards are currently up in the air. I look forward to learning more about the essential question. 

Kortney Kavanagh 7 years, 2 months ago

I am looking forward to really breaking down our essential question.  Getting the perfect question that is understandable, debatable, real world and engaging to the students.  The essential question is what needs to keep them going the entire project and what they should always be referring back to. 

Keiauda Tennant 7 years, 2 months ago

I would like more information on NGSS crosscutting concepts, as that is new to me. I am also interested in seeing what form the essential question(s) take and how we will use those to drive the project. 

Danielle Gasser 7 years, 2 months ago

I am interested to see how we can incorporate three different content objectives together for our project (English, science and math) and still allow it to flow into our curriculum seemlessly.