Website setup

by Colette Chabbott 6 years, 1 month ago

The OER Commons platform is potentially better than Google Drive because we can create Discussion threads here, not just share documents.  In the "RESOURCES" tab, I have created folders for Workshops, Working Groups, and Bibliography.  Maybe we should also have a folder for Activities, like the Rwanda activities? [I wonder if we can restrict participation in these Discussions and Resource Folders to specific members or if it must be open to all.  Hmmm.] Eventually, we can add most of our resources from the SDG 4.7-SEL-Textbooks Google Drive in the RESOURCES tab, in the relevant folders. For this test case, let's just add a few.  In the "DISCUSSIONS" tab, I can imagine separate Discussions associated with each folder. Let's see if we can set those up and if we can limit some the discussions to less than all three of us (Margaret, Colette, Aish).

Colette Chabbott 6 years, 1 month ago

Aish:  I made you an administrator using your gwu email, but also invited you to join via your permanent gmail.  As administrator, see if you can add your permanent gmail as an administrator.

Say something here so we can see how cumbersome or difficult this discussion format is.  I don't see a way to attach something here, do you?

OK.  I needed to refresh to see your replies.

FYYI: If I haven't replied before you want to say something more, trying editing your last comment rather than replying.

Aishwarya Khurana 6 years, 1 month ago

Dr. Chabbott, I have uploaded two materials to the 'shared resources'. They can be found in 'Bibliography and Background Materials' folder created by you.

The names of documents are:

1. Jeong_et_al_2018-01-29_Topic 1

2. Benavot_27Jan_TCG4-16_ Development of SDG4.7 Indicators

Please let me know if you can see them and want any changes.

Could you please try setting up Discussions for the Organizers (for you and me) and the Working Group on Gender (for you and Margaret) to see if we can keep the Discussions selective?

And I checked out the resources that you uploaded: it's GREAT we can include abstracts for RESOURCES, like Working Paper #1. I see we can post comments, but I had the idea we can edit docs, serially, online?  What's the "version"? What "tags" might we want to use? Is everything we post as "RESOURCES" technicaly able to be revised/used by any members?  Is there a place for reports and docs to keep people informed, that are not intended to be revised/adapted by others?

Any ideas about what we could use for a group profile picture?

Aishwarya Khurana 6 years, 1 month ago

For the discussions, I tried to set up one just for you and me but it gives me only two options: visible to everyone and only group members. So, I went ahead and selected 'only group members'. OER does not give the option to provide access to limited members of the groups. Also, Margaret needs to join the group to become a part of the discussion.

For resources: I liked the fact that it has a lot of options to provide more details about the document. Yes, you can edit the document online and it will create multiple "versions" and you will be able to see how the document evolved. For "tags", we can take up the words from the 'keywords' that most documents mention after the "abstract" section. For the ones, we don't have tags, we can write on our own.

No, not everything can be revised or edited by people. It asked me for CC BY.... based on what I choose, it will show the members if they can make changes.

I am gonna look for some ideas for group picture now.