POST ANY AND ALL QUESTIONS HERE!!

by Aubree Evans 3 years, 1 month ago

Please use this forum to post any questions or comments that you have at any point during the OER Institute. Your facilitator will check this thread daily during the week.

Amber Bechard 2 years, 11 months ago

Aubree, In looking through resources I believe I identified that Anita and I had saved our homework into a group Branch Ed folder. I have now saved those resources into our respective folders adn removed them from the group folder. Sorry about that!

Aubree Evans 2 years, 11 months ago

No worries at all. I didn't even notice. Just so it doesn't surprise you, all resources saved in folders tend to show in the main group. It's just a feature of the groups.

Lourdes Viloria 2 years, 11 months ago

Aubree-  I have no idea what happened I have been saving resources but my folder is empty?  I now I am saving but I do not know where my items went.

Lourdes Viloria 2 years, 11 months ago

Nevermind Aubree - I found my items I had saved then in the SPring 2021 folder.

Virginia Kennedy 2 years, 11 months ago

Hi - I should have 16 resources in my folder but it looks like they are not there. 

Aubree Evans 2 years, 11 months ago

Hi Virginia,

I see 6 resources in your folder. Is it possible that you saved them somewhere else? If not, I recommend putting in a ticket here: https://help.oercommons.org/support/tickets/new

Please let me know if they are able to help find your resources.

Aubree

Lara Ervin-Kassab 2 years, 10 months ago

I will have two fillable protocol/organizers to go along with my unit. I'm wondering two things: 

1. Google docs or Word, which is a better option? When I click on "resources" for some of the existing OER content (that are GDocs) they come up as blocked/blank... 

2. Can I put CC attribution/remix on my own shareable content? Use the footer? 

I'll also be putting content up on my YouTube channel- but don't think that falls under specifically just this work.

Thanks!

L

Aubree Evans 2 years, 10 months ago

Hi, Lara,

1. This came up in a recent check-in. If a Google doc is created in an institutional account, but then the creator changes a job, access to that will be lost. For that reason it may indeed be better to attach a Word doc.

2. Yes, you can decide which license you want to use. There ways to embed it using symbols in a doc, or you can also grab a screenshot from here. That's what I did for the CC license that we use in the org. Example: 

If you want to embed Youtubes that you create into your module, just be sure to license them CC as well.

It sounds like this is going to be a great module!!!

Robin Dodds 2 years, 10 months ago

Aubree,

Is there more information about upcoming activities:

• Who to send link/s of completed module?
  • What the presentation format should be and length?

Thanks,

Robin

Hi Robin, I sent everyone an email about this this morning. I just resent it to you in case it got lost. 

If anyone else didn't receive an email from me this morning, please let me know.

Aubree

Amber Bechard 2 years, 10 months ago

Hi Aubree-

1) How do I distinguish between the resources that are OER and external links? How do I indicate this in my unit?

2) I was given the feedback that my unit is link heavy. I know it is because I spent hours and hours finding resources! I had several approved for OER too. But how do I "embed" the links as was suggested in peer feedback? I linked them but I don't know what else to do to embed the links.

Amber

Hi, Amber,

I think that if it's OER, you put the content right in. In other words, you embed the video, image, or text so you don't have to click and follow a link to view it. Here's an example of an embedded video in Devin's module:

embedded video example

Here's an example of including an external link that is not CC licensed from Rashad's module:

example of external link

If it's text from a CC licensed resource, you can write at the bottom of a section, "Adapted from . . ." or if it's taken verbatim, I might write, the following content is attributed to . . . .

Does this answer your questions?