Webinar 2 - Changing a resource

by Joanna Schimizzi 1 year, 6 months ago

(Be sure to reply directly to this original prompt, not another person's comment.)

When you think about the resource that you viewed during the webinar (the Moon text, moon podcast or moon time-lapse video)... 

1) Pick one change that you might make to the resource to increase accessibility

2) Does the change make the resource equally effective, equally integrated, and of substantially equivalent ease of use?

Jennifer Page 1 year, 6 months ago

This is what Maine MOOSE came up with. Others can add if they have another thought but wanted to capture what we came up with together!

1) For students who are unable to see, how would you help them understand/access this resource?

• Physically create an experience where they can feel the “moon” (an orb) rising above a ‘horizon’ as it is explained to them.

• Provide experiences for them to understand the scale of the moon in relation to other celestial bodies

• Create an auditory experience with a sound growing and fading

2) Since 3 is totally visual all the changes we suggested making were to put the concept/information into different modalities. The initial resource would not be applicable any more other than informing the new experiences we would create so that the concept was understandable

kristin conlin 1 year, 6 months ago

1. Make the licensing more easily accessible/visible.  Folks who seek to use/modify (potentially making it more accessible) the video may be deterred by the lack of apparent and easily accessible and plain english licensing. 

2. TBD, based on future users who modify the resource and who may make it equally effective, intengrated, and supportive of sustantially equivalent ease of use. 

Darin Nolan 1 year, 6 months ago

I watched the moon time-lapse. I would add audio and closed captioning to the screen to increase accessibility. I do feel this change would make the resource equally effective, equally integrated and of substantially equivalent ease of use.

Amy Connolly 1 year, 6 months ago

Elaborating on this idea as a member of Team B'Ham...

1)  Audio description would help make the visual content more accessible to those who are unable to see. I'm not sure what role closed captioning would play, since there's no spoken content - would it help to have captioning of the audio description to support comprehsion? Perhaps! As our group discussed, this could provide more context - as would some kind of preparatory activity if the learner is lacking relevant background knowledge.

2) Regarding whether the above would make the resource "equally effective, equally integrated, and of substantially equivalent ease of use" for someone with a disability - I'd say it still depends on the user and the setting. There are lot of factors to consider, so I'd need more context to answer this question. For instance, what is the learning goal? I assume the idea that's being communicated is about the moonrise, based on the title and visual information; but is there another idea that this material is meant to communicate? What is the expected action?

Nancy O'Neill 1 year, 6 months ago

Our team had the moonrise resource, no audio, no text, only a visual. Putting in text captioning as well as audio would give more sensory options to users. Audio would help users who have low- or no vision to be able to engage with the resource; text captioning would help users understand the context for the use of this video (e.g., science, photography, etc.)

Dina McCaffery 1 year, 6 months ago

Our team viewed the time lapse of the moonrise. It was a 15 second visual with no audio or text. Including closed captioning or a narration or other sound could provide more sensory options to those who are visually-impaired/blind. This would also help by providing an objective to why you are viewing the video. By providing the auditory piece it would make this resource more engaging and equally integrated for all users. 

Kristin Herman 1 year, 6 months ago

I'll add that as a Centennial team we also spent a good bit of time talking about context. If this is a classroom setting where teacher is controlling the viewing of the clip for all students, that helps any students with locomotor issues access the video for a first view. However, for students with cognitive processing delays-- what is the cueing preparing them for this viewing?Is there a way for students to continue to access clip beyond being shown as part of direct instruction? Including the clip within a course section of an LMS would allow students to return to the clip as many times as necessary, 

Teri Davis 1 year, 6 months ago

In listening to the moon podcast here are some things I would change.

I would make the license more open so closed captions could be used could be used for students who are hearing impaired.  Also pictures added would make it more visually appealing for students.

Debra Fitzgibbons 1 year, 6 months ago

The Moon text was not accessible, as presented. I would activate OCR the PDF. This would allow use of text to speech, include options for display settings to enlarge or invert colors, choose dual-color highlighting, allow speech to text to input answers on the worksheets, ensure headings and styles are in place to allow someone to tab through the document. I would add alt text behind any images. I would ensure the document behaved the same across platforms., 

Aujalee Moore 1 year, 6 months ago

I worked with the moon time-lapse.

1) I would add some audio description so users who are blind or visually-impaired could access the content. 

2) I do not believe that the one suggestion above would necessarily make the resource equally effective, equally integrated, and of substantially equivalent ease of use for all users. It may assist some users who benefit from audio description.

Sue Soltis 1 year, 6 months ago

Our team listened to the podcast. Assuming that the resource was openly licensed (which we know it wasn't), I would recommend a transcript to allow the learner to follow along as well as images that display what is being discussed. Providing both auditory and visual information gives the learner different modalities in which to consume the content and make meaning.

Kirstin Copeland 1 year, 6 months ago

1. The moon video needs an audio discription added for learners who can not see and can not see well. 

2. If the description is done well, I think it would make it equally effective, integrated, and equivalent in ease of use. It would need to include the size and look of the moon, the speed and path of its movement, and the background. 

Sarah Gracey 1 year, 6 months ago

Audio clip

1) Adding a transcript or closed captioning for those with hearing loss and people who need to follow along.

2) This one change may not be enough to make the resource equally effective, equally integrated, or substantially equivalent. There is still potential to change more and make it more accessible for all.

Tiffany Jenkins 1 year, 6 months ago

I looked at the Lab Handout thinking about one of my dyslexic ADHD students.  This is very close to what he receives in class and it is to be completed with in the Google doc. Here are some of his struggles.

• He would need support of having the text read to him.
  • Files name support so he could find it if saved it.

This would help support him but not make it accessible for all 

Danielle (Dany) Macias 1 year, 6 months ago

My group looked over the mood podcast. We discussed the possibility of adding a transcript so that students who are deaf or hard of hearing can participate in the activity. Additionally, this change can also benefit students who are easily distracted or have cognitive disabilities. Following along with the transcript as the podcast is playing may help reduce distractions and increase understanding. It hink this change is able to maintain integrity as far as effectiveness and substance. 

Andrea Zern 1 year, 6 months ago

I looked at the digital handout last week and there could be many ways that you could change the presentation or provide accommodations for access:

Physical/Motor: 

Keyboard access; touchpad navigation; finger isolation for touch screen; motor control for mouse; keyboarding and/or digital typing ability

Provide access to AT; keyboard commands; touchscreen access

Sensory: 

Vision; visual perception/integration

Provision of TTS options; Use of ScreenReader; Contrast options

Learning/Cognitive: 
Decoding, working memory, linguistic/vocabulary abilities; background knowledge to inform “noticings”

Teacher could provide recording using digital voice recording; use of picture supports/symbolated version; use of translation or picture dictionary with something like immersive reader

Most of these options I feel like might not be to the actual resource...they are more after the fact so they don't necessary increase accessibility.

Annemarie Catalano 1 year, 6 months ago

I think I'll consider the senses for my slide decks that i use every day - I think framing it this way really helped with the activities we completed, and I'm excited to apply that strategy to what i do everyday.

Jefferson Alves 1 year, 6 months ago

1) I might change “Elvin, the Boy Who Loved the Sky” - text. Originally, it's contains 3 long paragraphs, with plain text. The change I would apply to increase accessibility would be highlighting keywords and adding a panel at the right part of the page, where I would include pictograms that would illustrate keywords, or even add definitions for more complex words. 

2) This change would make the resource substantially equivalent ease of use as it would promote not only the reading of the text, but also the comprehension of keywords and even engage the reader into the content. Considering students with dyslexia, who would struggle to get a dictionary and handling both materials, this would be a change that would include them, but also other students, as there is a variation in terms of presenting the contents. 

Sarah Kinsella 1 year, 6 months ago

1. audio description

2. I think it depends on the context, but probably not for ALL users. 

1) Me and my group mainly chose to pick , "Elvin, the Boy Who Loved the Sky” - text. As my  group peer previously said (Jefferson), it had 3 long paragraphs with a plain text design that would not be engaging enough to children with a disability.
 Highlighting keywords - with the proper contrast, font and color that could be checked by the computer operating system (such as in Mac, like we have learned in webinar 5) - and adding pictograms for complementing the definition and understanding of keywords. 

2) Considering our background related to adaptation tasks for autistic children and children with ADHD,  the changes would promote a quicker interpretation and increase the student's attention span. 

Barb Ambos 1 year, 4 months ago

Our team reviewed the Deaf men moon podcast. There was no set up, and many of the references were historical -- assumed prior knowlege.

I think having a complete transcript and cc titles would help so much. It was a challenge for me to discern which person was talking, so having them id'd in the titles would help everyone track the conversation.