Project Planning Updates
In this lesson, students will continue to create, edit, and compile the various chapters of their self-portrait. They’ll also continue to update their planning documents and keep track of the progress they’re making with their project work.
- Read the lesson and student content.
- Anticipate student difficulties and identify the differentiation options you will choose for working with your students.
Project Work Goals
- Take a few minutes at this time to troubleshoot any issues that came up during the previous lesson.
- Be sure that all students submit their goals for the Work Time so that you have a sense of what they are working on.
- SWD: Assist students if they are struggling to identify good goals. Consider grouping those who need extra help and working with them as a way of providing support.
Review your planning documents and the Work Time options.
- Option 1 :Writing . Do you still need to work on your written chapter? Do you have an additional written chapter you would like to include (this could be prose, poetry, song lyrics, and so on)? Do you need to add additional artifacts to your work? You may spend this time working on your writing.
- Option 2 :Editing . Do you want to refine work you have already written? You may spend this time editing and revising your work.
- Option 3 :Multimedia Editing . Do you have photographs, slideshows, video, or audio that you need to edit for inclusion in your self-portrait? You may spend this time editing these files.
- Option 4 :Research and Gathering . Do you have to do any research or find resources for your self-portrait? Think about artifacts you may wish to include: videos, links to news articles, locations for maps, etc. You may spend this time finding and documenting these resources.
- Option 5 :Other? What other tasks do you have to accomplish? Do you have to draw or otherwise create images for your self-portrait? Do you have to transcribe any interviews you conducted? Do you have to record an audio version of a written chapter?
- Decide what you will be doing, set your goals for the Work Time, and share your plan with your teacher.
- Take this time to hold conferences with students who need support.
- You may want to allow students to confer with partners as they work, supporting each other even as each moves forward with his or her individual project. SWD: Consider allowing students with disabilities whose writing ability is below proficiency level to work with a more advanced writer. Depending on the writing ability of the student with disabilities, a group of three might be more appropriate. ELL: Be sure that all ELLs are engaging in the activity successfully. If you find that some students need support, consider grouping together and working with those who need extra help.
Continue creating, editing, and organizing your chapters and your artifacts. For example, you may work on writing, editing your prose, editing videos or slideshows, transcribing interviews, finding links, or obtaining maps.
- Option 1: Writing. You may spend this time writing or adding artifacts to any written chapters you have included.
- Option 2: Editing. You may spend this time editing and revising your work.
- Option 3: Multimedia Editing. You may spend this time editing any multimedia files you have included.
- Option 4: Research and Gathering. You may spend this time finding and documenting resources to add to your project.
- Option 5: Other? You may spend this time working on other tasks you need to accomplish.
Be sure to tell your teacher what you will be working on today.
- Students will have two more lessons devoted to this phase of the project. By Lesson 21, they will begin to upload their work to their final self-portrait. SWD: Before sending them off with the homework, check that all SWDs fully understand what is expected of them.
- Continue checking students’ Planning Calendars to get a sense of their progress.
Return to your planning documents. Are you on track?
- Update your progress and make any necessary adjustments to your Planning Calendar, Self-Portrait Outline, and Self-Portrait Checklist.
- Remind students to check their Planning Calendar and make any necessary adjustments.
Keep working on your self-portrait.
- Continue creating, editing, and organizing your chapters and your artifacts.
- Log your progress in your Planning Calendar.