Students explore what makes a math trick work by analyzing verbal math expressions that describe each step in the trick.
- Words can be used to describe mathematical operations.
- In a math trick, a person starts with a number, follows mathematical directions given in words, and ends up with the original number.
- Math tricks can be explained by examining the mathematical expressions that represent the verbal directions.
Goals and Learning Objectives
- Explore verbal expressions.
- Predict and test which sets of expressions will result in the original number.