Intro to Culinary Arts: Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point
Grade Level: 10th-12th
Subject: Intro to Culinary Arts
Duration: 1-2 (50 minute periods)
DOK Level: 3
SAMR Level: 3
ICAH-3.4 Explain the purpose and uses of the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) food safety system
Students will examine the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) utilized worldwide in food production. Students will investigate its use in real situations during a field trip to a food production center and assess the value of its implementation.
- What are the seven principles of HACCP and how are they each incorporated in food production?
- What are the challenges for food production centers in its implementation?
- Students will view the video entitled,HACCP: Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points: PRINCIPLES OF HACCP.
- Students will be randomly placed in a group of three and assigned one of the seven principles of HACCP.
- Students will participate in a field trip to a food production center.
- Following the field trip each group will present their investigative notes regarding the implementation of the assigned principle and their assessment of its value in food production as well as the challenges of implementation. This will be shared to the class via the use of iMovie.
Product or Assessment:
The students will share their iMovie that outlines their investigation of the assigned HACCP principle that was implemented at the food production site as well as their assessment of its value and implementation challenged in a real food production situation.
Students can verbally share their assignment. Students can complete a phone interview of a food production manager and submit notes from the conversation focused on HACCP implementation.
Students can select another food production center and compare/contrast the HACCP implementation with the previous field trip location.