Resources Meeting Submission Criteria

by Katy Schonbeck 6 years, 8 months ago

Hi All-

A video lesson I shared with OER was removed. I was told that it did not meet some (or all?) of the 5 criteria. There is a way to find out more details and I can resubmit. Although I respect (and appreciate) the curatorial aspects, I am not sure that I have time (or interest) to figure out what is missing/wrong, address the issue(s) and then resubmit. This raises questions for me about the OER Commons as a viable ONE stop platform for sharing resources on the local level. Making my department members of my Google Classroom to share resources in context, might be more efficient.

Is there a way to share content "within SU house"? 

Jeff Renard 6 years, 8 months ago

Hi Katy, 

Good question (and good point). Time is always an issue.

My thought is in using OER Commons to share items, you can share by using specific SU tag(s). Then, locally departments can search using your local tag(s) for shared content. 

One different is the level of sharing "outside" the SU for the broader VT community. This platform allows us to do that. Google Classroom doesn't. 

I would be interested in looking at the details of the submission they declined. Can you email to me? jrenard@vtvlc.org

Jeff

Erica Zimmer 6 years, 8 months ago

This a really good point.  If OER Commons makes it difficult to submit resources and cause teachers to put in more time than they have, then interest will be lost as far as contributing to OERs.  On the flip side, I appreciate that they are evaluating the resources as there should be some level of a vetting process, especially when talking about copyright.  Would you mind sharing your resource?  I am curious as to why they would reject it.  

Katy Schonbeck 6 years, 7 months ago

Hi Erica- 

Just getting back from vacation- sorry for the delay in responding.

https://youtu.be/_XAVQejPTYc

:-)kt

Frank Barnes 6 years, 8 months ago

Hey, Katy. Let's see what Jeff finds out and move on from there. I'm curious about the criteria that were not met, so I'll look into that when I can. The purpose is to be able to share and have access to resources, so we want to make sure it's as simple as possible. ~ Frank

Frank Barnes 6 years, 7 months ago

Katy,

I've been looking for the five criteria you mentioned but haven't been able to find it yet. Did they specify when they notified you? One thing I wonder is if you uploaded a video but didn't include closed captioning. That may be an ADA compliance issue. Other than that, it would be helpful to know what criterion is not being met.

Frank

Katy Schonbeck 6 years, 7 months ago

Hi Frank,

The notification was not specific. I am not sure what the 5 criteria consist of nor which one(s) my submission didn't meet. 

:-)kt

Frank Barnes 6 years, 6 months ago

High-Quality Resources:

• Are understandable and can be successfully used by others

• Support sound pedagogical practice

• Advance professional learning and sharing

• Contain accurate and relevant content knowledge

• Are developmentally and culturally appropriate

Katy Schonbeck 6 years, 6 months ago

Thank you, Frank.  These are good guidelines, but I am still not sure how my submission didn't make the grade.

Frank Barnes 6 years, 6 months ago

I have the same question. I submitted a lesson that I found online that looked good. It, too, was rejected (that's how I learned the criteria). I found out some more informtation at yesterday's webinar, and I have some suggestions in general based on my further exploration of the platform. Too much to put here, so we will discuss at the next meeting.