OER Discovery Practice & Sharing

by Megan Simmons 3 years, 11 months ago

This week's discussion will be an opportunity for us all to practice using the search tools on OER Commons to find at least one resource we can use.

Please share a link to the resource you found and describe how you plan to use it by replying below.

Aubree Evans 3 years, 11 months ago

I think that my module topic is starting to shape into "Power in Online Teaching Practices." I'll apply theories of power to learners in different online learning contexts. Therefore, I searched for a resource on online teaching, and I found Wide Open School. I think I'll be able to use that to catalog different types of online teaching approaches in order to analyze them. 

Sedef Smith 3 years, 10 months ago

I searched for a resource focusing on equity. One resource I came across is this: Child Well-Being and Equity in the US: Online Data and Analysis Tool. This is a very interesting tool that maps out the geographic distribution of opportunity for children (this is one topic one can get a visualized data on among many other interesting topics). For example, in Houston (where I currently live), only 4.9% of white children live in very low-opportunity neighborhoods, compared to 28.1% of Hispanic and 30.4 % of Black children. "Understanding the conditions children experience is the first step toward ensuring that all children have equitable access to the resources they need to thrive" - says the creator(s) of the resource on its "about" page. The numbers and visuals on this resource tell stories of racial inequities in opportunity for children. My plan is to develop a module that can be used with teacher candidates as they work toward developing an equity lens. So, I am thinking the resource I found can be useful in helping candidates understand the "why" behind the importance of developing a critical perspective as teachers. 

Ty Jiles 3 years, 10 months ago

Good evening, 

I found a resource entitled "Careers in Education." I was looking for something that would cover a variety of topics. I am currently planning a orientation for students who may be interested in education and or undecided majors who participate in our student success programming. We are activlty trying to recurit more students into the field of education. This resource appeared to be comprehensive as it ibegins with health and safety of children and ends with an employment portfolio. 

The highlights of the resource for me was the unit on growth and development as well as working with children with exceptionalities.Some of the activities that they provdied for the students were really well developed.  Challenges of the resource included no real content on diversity, social-emotional needs of students and ongoing professinal development. Overall, I found it to be a good resource especially as I move more courses online in the future. 

This resource can provide insight for me as the person who is responsible for developing the content or I can provide the information to the students to peruse it own their own. However, It may be too much for them to do it on their own initially. 

See you soon! 

Ty

Kimberly Grotewold 3 years, 10 months ago

My team's project is in part to inform teachers about copyright, fair use, Creative Commons, Public Domain, and OER in their courses related to teaching with technology and using digital media in instruction. One of the resources you included within our Group's materials, the Permissions Guide for Educators will be important to reference. As part of our module we will also be asking our learners to analyze and reflect on how they obtain and understand information from visual materials such as digital images. So far, I have located the following three additional materials that may be useful in our content development:

Of these three resources, the Analyzing Visual Media provides links to useful background information on elements of visual design that convey meaning. The second one takes a deeper dive into infographics as a means of conveying information visually -- One particular statement by the creators of the Teaching Infographics resource stood out for me, and I'm still unpacking it and thinking about how to apply it to my team's work: "By asking students to visualize data in various formats to determine what design best conveys the content, it targets the misconception that one creates an infographic by gathering interesting data bits into an attractive display rather than selectively visualizing data in order to build evidence for an argument." Finally, the third resource related to Multimodal Texts on Global Warming has some links that are outdated, but I think some of the learning objectives could still be relevant; helping learners understand that some visual representations are better than others for communicating certain types of information--that purpose and intentionality are important considerations.

Shauna Mayo 3 years, 10 months ago

One resource I found was titled Talented and Gifted Student Learning Resources. As I looked at the information I saw links to multiple additional resources that could help with providing instruction to gifted and talented students. As I develop my module, I see myself referring back to this resource to research further activities that could be incorporated in my module that will give teachers ideas of ways to develop activities for gifted and talented students that will engage them in critical thinking while being engaging and fun.

Patrick Ianniello 3 years, 10 months ago

Since I am planning to design a learning module for a graduate course on the foundations of special education, I searched for a resource on the basic definition and scope of special education. Using the key search words, "Special Education Teacher", I readily found the resource video "What is Special Education?'" It's a Youtube video produced by Audiopedia. Even though it is basically a short lecture on what does the term special education mean, the categorized level is fittingly listed as "Graduate".I, therefore, think that it would be an appropriate resource in the graduate-level course during the first introductory lesson session, to be either viewed with the course instructor or as part of a review

What is Special Education?

assignment. 

Valeisha Ellis 3 years, 10 months ago

I searched for modules on Social Emotional Learning.  The most promising module that I thought would be most resourceful are modules out of Washington

OSPI Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Online Education Module

• Learning Segment 1: Introduction to SEL
  • Learning Segment 2: Embedding SEL Schoolwide
  • Learning Segment 3: Creating a Professional Culture Based on SEL
  • Learning Segment 4: Integrating SEL into Culturally Responsive Classrooms
  • Learning Segment 5: Trauma Informed Social Emotional Learning
  • Learning Segment 6: Identifying and Selecting Evidence-Based Programs

However, I keep getting an Error 404 (not found).   This homework confirms that there is definitely a need for SEL OER for P-5 students.    I liked an activity on "empathy"  by Teaching Tolerance.  They provided 8 exercises that teachers could facilitate in their classroom (Grade 6-8).  I think the activity could be modified for P-5 also.

Valeisha Ellis 3 years, 10 months ago

Started the links in the SEL folder.

The first 3 modules are brief descriptions that are discussed in short clips under 5 minutes. 

I appreciate the content structure-it is not overwhelming and has a gradual progression for facilitating discussions and new content knowledge.

Since we are creating our own modules, I also noticed the formatting.  The first two modules used powtoon videos which gave me some creative ideas for my content delivery.

Kimberly Grotewold 3 years, 10 months ago

In addition to the resources I found last week, I just discovered Digital Citizenship by J. Beck & T. Combs. This one really stood out to me with the learning approaches it applied--Problem-based learning and Inquiry-based learning. This got me to thinking about how my team might be able to create a professional development module that could use these approaches. So while the target audience for the original resource was grades 6 through 8, I was considering how it could be adapted for a pre-service or in-service audience. For example, the module starts with a broad, open-ended question, "What could digital citizenship look like at our school?" I could see posing similar questions in our module, "What does effective teaching with technology and digital media look like? What considerations do teachers need to take into account when developing instruction that uses technology/digital media?"

The resource/material I created that I would like to share is not related to my team's proposed module topic. Instead, I developed it to introduce students in our education courses how to search for research articles on education topics. It's part of what is now a 2-part series -- This is the second part. It was created with a tool called LibWizard which is a software that my university library has purchased. 

Researching Education Topics: Searching & Monitoring