OER Basics: 3-2-1 Reflection

by Susan Payne 4 years ago

After reviewing the OER Basics section of the User Guide, share:

• 3 things you learned
  • 2 questions you still have
  • 1 next step you will take
Noelle Gorbett 3 years, 11 months ago

Things I learned: fair use guidelines, using OER resources in Google Classroom, guidelines for remix of CC licensed resources

Questions I still have: none at this time

Next step: learning more about using 'groups' in our hub

Tom Thompson 3 years, 11 months ago

I like how I can move through the guide and focusing on what I need to know to move forward.  Three things I learned:

1.  I learned how to properly attach Creative Commons license information to documents.

2.  I learned about the lesson template which I hope to use when working with projects that involve collaborative lesson development with teachers.

3.  I learned about the heirarchy built into Oregon Open Learning.  I like the flow from collaborative space to vetted resource.

Questions I still have:

1.  What does collaboration within OOL look like?  I think I will need to dive in and start some sort of collaborative project or participate in one to develop a resource.

2.  How will we actually vet resources?  I like the document that can be used to evaluate resources, but I don't see where there is a place to include that within OOL "attached" to a resource.  

Next Step

My next step will be to look for appropriate resources to populate the Math group.

Pandie Anderson 3 years, 11 months ago

Things I learned: OER resources are superior to commercial products; students perform as well or better; OER fosters equity.

Questions: How widely used are these resources in Oregon? What are the biggest challenges to get these resources more widly used?

Next step: Explore hubs for personalized learning resources.

Holly Dalton 3 years, 11 months ago

I learned the best places to find Open Educational Resources, how to refine searches, and about remixes.

Questions: How will the resources be vetted?

Next step: Contributing to the Early Learning Resources

Dan Farley 3 years, 11 months ago

Three things I learned: 1) more options for CC licensing, 2) how to share resources in Google Classroom, 3) that current research shows that CC curricular materials are statistically equivalent to publishers' curricula. Two questions I still have: 1) how can we ensure that Oregon educators' efforts are maintained as CC BY-NC-SA in perpetuity? and, 2) how do we more effectively market Oregon Open Learning as an important resource for educator and student agency? One next step I will take: engage with Jessica and Emily to determine our legislative history and legal options, respectively, related to my questions.

Renée House 3 years, 11 months ago
  • 3 things I've learned - how to search for resources based on standards, benefits to educators, how to evaluate the quality of exiting resources.
  • 2 questions I have - How do we communicate this tool to the field so they know it exists and it's value for collaboration? Is there a cap on how many groups you can join?
  • 1 next step - I will looks at other hubs to see what they look like.
Margaret Mahoney 3 years, 11 months ago

New learning for me included the 5 Rs of OER, the Creative Commons license and how to look for it attached to resources, and the research efforts involving Open Educational Resources.  Two questions for me center on how I will be able to contribute and/or vet, and what resources will look like for Career & Technical Education.  The next step is to learn more by investigating other learning hubs and discussions with my colleagues!

Suzanne Hidde 3 years, 11 months ago

3 things I learned:  Differences in the Creative Common Licenses; 5 R's; compatibility with Google Classroom

2 questions I have:  Who decides what gets accepted as a resource?  How to request to have materials put in for CCL?

1 next step:  Look for materials/resources to add to my groups

Deborah Bailey 3 years, 11 months ago

3 things learned

1. copyrights are complex

2. how to search for a resource with parameters

3. The various licenses

2 questions still have

1. what does it look like to remix (exactly, need to do to completely understand)

2. How to work with others on the same resource over time

1 Next step I will take

1. reach out to Hubs again about how they can use OOL

Annie Marges 3 years, 11 months ago

Three things I learned: Open licenses, CC licenses, and the specifics of fair use and copyright

Two questions I still have: How and where Alt Ed fits (is it integrated or separate?), and how to engage more educators

One next step I will take: share the User Guide with my Alt Ed community

Mark Freed 3 years, 11 months ago

3 things you learned

• I learned about the authoring tool in OER commons for lessons. 
  • Connections with LMS systems such as Google Classroom
  • Various CC license options we can use

2 questions you still have

• Can we be allowed to set up a Google Classroom through our Oregon Learning Account?  Right now we can’t invite anyone outside ODE, but seem like it could be a great too for us to use.
  • What other LMS platforms can OER commons support? (e.g. Moodle, Canvas, Schoology, etc.)

1 next step you will take

• I would like to take one of our Math in Real Life lessons to practice getting in with the OER commons tool.  Like to get them out, and seems like it could potentially be a good way to do so.
Tina Roberts 3 years, 11 months ago

3 things I learned:

• The differences between the various CC licenses
  • How to upload an OER to Google Classroom
  • How research supports the use of OER in schools

2 Questions I still have: 

• How can we leverage the use of OER as viable instructional materials?
  • How many people currently use OER / OER Commons / Oregon Open Learning in Oregon?

1 Next Step I will take:

• Develop talking points about OER and OOL to share with Oregon educators and other stakeholders
Aujalee Moore 3 years, 11 months ago

3 things I learned: 

• I learned where to access the Open Textbook Library
  • What the CC logo looks like and means
  • Allowing access to OERs is an equity driven project

2 questions I have: 

• Can OERs become adopted materials through the SBE?
  • Not so much a question, but I still need to do greater learning around the copyright laws and how that impacts using OERs as instructional materials in Oregon

1 next step: 

• Involve myself in the conversation around digital instructional materials and utilizing Oregon Open Learning to make them widely accessible.
Gabby Sloss 2 years, 11 months ago

Things I have learned: how open education resources can help close the equity and access gap for teachers and students, that OER can be empowering to teachers so that more time is used for teaching relevant/current information, the five R's: reuse, remix, revise, retain, and redistribute.

Two questions I have: I will be managing a WBL hub which current doesn't have "standards" to align too, will this imapct the evaluation and approval process for what is published in the hub? Recommendations appreciated.

Next step I am taking: during the summer I will begin evaluating and approving documents to fill the WBL Hub with.