Homework

by Helen Lee 3 years, 3 months ago

Hello All,

My first time posting and unsure why there are no other discussions. 

Is there a corresponding homework resource with the Intro to Statistics text? A software that isn't costly?

Thank you in advance.

- Helen

Cameron Redsell-Montgomerie 3 years, 3 months ago

Hi Helen,

Yes that is odd there's no discussion, I'd completely forget Ted about this forum.

For my statistics course I use the MyOpenMath resource, there's a few template courses available too based on the book. We currently use minitab for software, but I'd like to move to R and Jamovi eventually.

Helen Lee 3 years, 3 months ago

Thank you for the recommendations. I didn't see any of those as an option on the technology recommendations from OpenStax. One of the tech scout options are from Lumen and I've put in a request for access. 

Kimberley McHale 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm trying Lumen this semester with it. I tried Edfinity last semester and want to compare. Kim

OpenStax, Rice University 3 years, 3 months ago

Hello Helen -- Thanks very much for asking and for using the book.  I see Cameron responded and that you are also looking at Lumen.  Those are great and they do support the book. Other options in their price ranges are XYZ homework and Edfinity.  WebAssign, Knewton Alta, RealizIT, and a few others also deeply integrate the end-of-chapter assessments from the Statistics book.  

If you have any other questions, feel free to post here or feel free to reach out to us at info@openstax.org.  

Thank you,

Anthony (OpenStax team)

Danielle Rivard 3 years, 3 months ago

Hi Helen, 

I use WebAssign with my HS students (taking a dual enrollment college course). The cost is less for HS students but still very reasonable for college students. I like it because once you figure out that the questions actually mirror the questions in the book you can pick and choose which ones you'd like to use. Some are the same for everyone and some are randomized (numbers in red are different for many students while the rest of the problem is fixed). Also there is an Ask the Instructor feature  which I like because I can communicate with my students if they are struggling outside of class. We use the TI84+ exclusively and the book has techology tips throughout each lesson which really helps. You can use Desmos - a free graphing calculator with a stats function (YouTube videos for directions) as well. I hope this helps. 

Danielle 

Reza Khadem 3 years, 3 months ago

Hellen,

I use Knewton alta for about $40 per student. There is Rover from OpenStax that is supposed to be active for Intro to Stat this spring; it costs about $22, but it is not recommanded for assessment. I use my own PowerPoint files and videos based on the textbook that you can find at the links below if you are interested. Take care.

Class Notes

Videos

Tamsyn Murnaghan 3 years, 3 months ago

Hi Helen,

I see you are getting lots of responses - awesome!

I thought I would jump in and let you know that Lyryx Learning also provides a high-quality online homework/ exam platform to pair with the OpenStax Intro. to Statistics text. We have a large library of algorithmic, auto-graded questions with immediate and personalized feedback that is aligned directly with the text.

Lyryx with Open Texts comes at an affordable cost of $39.95, with re-registrations (i.e. repeats) at only $19.95. Further, we have a Free Lab program where students can complete their assignments for free in campus computer labs. This is set to resume when classes return to campus, but we also work with instructors to assist students in real financial need.

If you're interested in checking out what we offer, please visit www.lyryx.com and click the "Request a Demo" button at the top right corner of the page.

Thank you,

Tamsyn (Lyryx Learning)