Inquiry about SLASL

by Joanna Schimizzi 7 years, 3 months ago

What components of a unit provide scaffolds for successful literacy-based inquiry?

BEFORE you can answer this question, please brainstorm three questions that you feel are related to this over-arching question?

Mark Alston 7 years, 3 months ago

There are five components in a Unit Plan that provide successful literacy-based inquiry ie, prerequisites, objectives, goals, assessment/evaluation, and closure/conclusion.

1. Which component of a unit plan provides the most opportunity for scaffolding literacy-based inquiry?

2. How should teachers present a unit to students?

3. What should teachers consider before developing a unit plan?

Lauren Schultz 7 years, 3 months ago

1) What are the components of a unit?

2)  What type of text are we using in the unit?

3)  What defines success?

Lauren Schultz 7 years, 3 months ago

1) Unit Title; Unit Description; Standards Addressed; Essential Question; Goals for Using Inquiry; Summative Assessment & Rubric; Prior Knowledge Needed; Student Learning Objectives; Text Set Description; Unit Passing Guide

2) 6 non-fiction/informational texts: An Unplugged Guide to Energy in New Hampshire (anchor text); Supplemental Texts: Understanding the Grid; How much do you spend on energy?; Electric Pole (infographic); ISO New England (statistics); Lib Guide - Power Texts

3)  Student success is determined by the objectives (SWBAT)/rubrics provided with the lesson.

Robin Williams 7 years, 3 months ago

what are the components of the unit?

what will the teacher provide vs what the student finds?

How will we know if the student/ unit is successful?

How will we guide the students to our goals? 

Robin Williams 7 years, 3 months ago

prior knowledge, essential question, standards, goals, learning objectives,lesson breakdown/pacing...

teacher will provide text and TDQ's 

Kristen Ward 7 years, 3 months ago

How is inquiry introduced to the students? 

How or what are the literacy strategies the students are using and how are they using them? 

How are the students evaluated within the unit and at the end of the unit? 

Kristen Ward 7 years, 3 months ago

How is inquiry introduced to the students? 

-Students were supposed to develop supporting reasearch questions  and their own solution around a topic.  They were given an anchor text and support texts for students to base their research off. 

How or what are the literacy strategies the students are using and how are they using them? 

-sudents had an understanding of research strategies (locating and evaluating)

-Students had an ability to read moderately complex text independently

How are the students evaluated within the unit and at the end of the unit? 

-Students were given a project sheet and a rubric to follow throughout their investigation. 

Keiauda Tennant 7 years, 3 months ago

1. Is the literacy portion determined by teacher or student?

2. What are the basic components of a unit?

3. How are the goals and expectations presented to students?

Keiauda Tennant 7 years, 3 months ago

1. Students are provided with an anchor text that is selected by the LMS and another teacher. 

2. Question, introduce project, strategies for reading/annotating anchor text, reading of anchor text, student discussion about question/anchor text, students complete activity to apply and expand knowledge, students are prompted with questions to lead them through, final project.

3. Teacher and LMS will present the project to the students.

Lori Zeman 7 years, 3 months ago

1. As a teacher, how can you gauge how much time is going to be needed for a student to complete the inquiry activity? 

2. How do you provide support for those students who already struggle with basic lessons and get them to a level where they can actively participate in an inquiry lesson?

3. How do you decide how to form your groups that work on the inquiry project? (high/low) (med/med) etc. 

Lori Zeman 7 years, 3 months ago

Telling students the pace (length) of how long they will have to work on a unit, addressing the fact that students will be responsible for coming up with a lot of the information on their own in the very beginning so you are setting that expectation, providing guiding questions for students to keep them on track, and understanding that not all students will learn the same to being prepared for the diverse learning styles in the classroom. 

Beth Slater 7 years, 3 months ago

What is the goal of the unit? What experience do students have with conducting literacy-based inquiry? What is the motivation for studentsto reach the goal? 

Beth Slater 7 years, 3 months ago

A1: From a content standpoint, students will:

• develop an understanding of the interaction between electricity and magnetism relating to power transmission
  • gain a historical perspective of the development of their local region’s current power grid t
  • understand how electrical power is generated throughout their local region

From an inquiry standpoint, students will:

• examine provided texts
  • develop their own supporting research questions around electricity generation
  • locate and use additional sources of information
  • determine their own solution to the essential question

Student learning objectives. Students will:

• be able to describe what a power grid is by presenting scientifically accurate information in their presentation.
  • be able to make observations, ask questions and analyze graphical representations of data, attending to important trends and to any gaps or inconsistencies in the data by incorporating appropriate graphs into their final project.
  •  will be able to support their conclusions by using textual evidence, data and precise details from a variety of texts to design an ideal power grid.
  • will be able to demonstrate new learning by effectively presenting their design to peers and local government officials.

A2: The unit is written so that it can be used with any group of students and so the question about what experience a particular group of students have would be based on the educators and the group of students they are working with. 

A3: 

Amy Moore 7 years, 3 months ago

How can you motivate students to utilize scaffolds? 

What topic in chemistry can I do this project for that will still allow me to work within the confines of my school/district mandates? 

What strategies can I use to increase student literacy skills that will enable them to be capable of such a project?

What are somethings I need to think ahead on that will help make this process successful? 

How will I sell this to my unmotivated/struggling students?

Amy Moore 7 years, 3 months ago

From what I found...

I need to identifiy the standards I want to cover, I think a topic that I am comfortable or one I know can be comfortable for students might be a good idea based on the reflections since this sounds like it is going to be a challegning project in some ways because it is all new. 

How to motivate/sell it to my students - I think having due dates along the way. Making this process bite size and not overwhelming them will be important. I will also need to have clear expectations and communcation with them. 

Other two questions I will need to look further to answer but they are in my brain now. 

Tamryn O'Toole 7 years, 3 months ago

How do I find engaging scientific reading for inquiry?

How do I not slide towards the obvious lab lesson plan?

What can I do to assess student achievement?

Laura Armstrong 7 years, 3 months ago

1. What does literacy in math look like?

2. What's the best way for the teacher to lead the inquiring?

3. What are the goals of the unit?

Laura Armstrong 7 years, 3 months ago

1. Prior knowledge is needed; still unsure of math literacy.

2. Allow the students to lead?

3. State standards along with a deeper knowledge based on what's being inquired about. 

Christina Segura 7 years, 3 months ago

What does successful mean? 

What texts will be included? 

What does the end look like? 

Christina Segura 7 years, 3 months ago

Successful will be describing what a power grid is by presenting scientifically accurate information in a presentation. Students will be able to read data and make assumptions and provide new ideas from what they have learned. 

One anchor text to get the students prepared for what they are going to explore. Provides basic understanding of the topic but pushes students to explore the essentional question "What does the ideal power grid look like for New Hampshire?" There are also supporting texts to help students guide their questions. 

Students created presentations to share the information they learned from their questions with the rest of the class. 

Kortney Kavanagh 7 years, 3 months ago

What is the goal/ objective?  

How can I prepare my students?

How will students be evaluated?

How do I make it relatable and interesting to the students?

Kortney Kavanagh 7 years, 3 months ago

1- Students understand the goal or objective by the teacher asking an effective question and providing the students with a student overview sheet of their responsibilities. 

2- Students use blogs, surveys and exit tickets to prepare themselves for being open about investigation, presentations, answering questions etc

3- Rubrics

4- Relatable and interesting because it is their home state, real world and current problems in terms of energy and climate change

Johnathan Blue 7 years, 3 months ago

What is the criteria neccessary to determine the success of a literacy-based inquiry?

How do you measure the usefulness of scaffolds in unit planning?

How do you prepare students who struggle with reading and literacy skills for a literacy-based inquiry?

Johnathan Blue 7 years, 3 months ago

What is the criteria neccessary to determine the success of a literacy-based inquiry?

- The answering of the essential question(s) of the unit.

- Adherence to project sheet and rubric

How do you measure the usefulness of scaffolds in unit planning? 

- Ensure that scaffolding components of unit plans support expected student outcomes.

How do you prepare students who struggle with reading and literacy skills for a literacy-based inquiry?

Donald Koller 7 years, 3 months ago
  1. Do the reading levels of students have any bearing on the planning?
  2. When referring to "components", what exactly does that mean? It can be taken different ways.
  3. What if we've never actually done anything or graded anything based on an inquiry-based unit?
Anne Bucci 7 years, 3 months ago

1. What is the students role in the unit vs. the teachers role?

2. How does one create a collaborative scientific culture in the classroom?

3. What is the student's prior knowledge with inquiry vs. the knowlege that they gain throughout the course of the unit?

Anne Bucci 7 years, 3 months ago

1. Students will engage with the material

2. Students will ask questions, present information to peers

3. Prior knowledge and measurable objectives; reflective component between teacher and lms

Justin Pierce 7 years, 3 months ago

Questions relating:

How can we measure where student(s) are with inquiry (at various stages of the lesson)?

What are ways to share how students are building inquiry?

What types of learners can problem solve faster/slower in terms of building literacy-based inquiry?

Question:

Warm-ups/Exits/Reflection/Anticipatory/ 

Justin Pierce 7 years, 3 months ago

+ Establishing and questioning prior knowledge

+ Observation

+ Presentation/Performance

+ Text Purpose

Kristen Johnson 7 years, 3 months ago

What will catch student attention/buy-in?

How do I empower students to be confident in their ability to complete a literacy-based assignment?

What are desired student outcomes?

Danielle Gasser 7 years, 3 months ago

How can I make this type of learning more time-efficient?

Where can one find successful literacy-based inquiry examples?  (besides OER)

How can we motivate students to guide their own learning in this process when they have little motivation for reading?