SLASL Webinar #4 Pre-work

by Joanna Schimizzi 6 years, 10 months ago

Hello STEM teachers and School Librarians -

As we get ready for our webinar on advocacy and outreach, we realize that many of you have different levels of experience with advocacy. 

To ground ourselves in common language and explore topics that are new to you, please take 5 minutes to explore this Advocacy Toolkit

Please comment by Tuesday June 6th with one topic/idea that was new to you. 

Kim Carter 6 years, 10 months ago

While I do use LinkedIn to follow others and get useful information, I haven't used it effectively for sharing ideas and information. The Advocacy Toolkit reminded me to reconsider this valuable forum for dissemination and feedback.

Karen Desjadon 6 years, 10 months ago

Twitter is an amazing professional resource for advocacy, personalized learning, and networking.  By following educators or educational hashtags I have found a wealth of knowledge.  While I have tried Linkedin, it does not seem to be a tool many educators use to share resources.  Perhaps I can learn more about this platform.

I often forget about local newspapers or television stations.  Major organizations are usually prompt to respond to these requests while local town papers sometimes want information sent to them.  It was good to be reminded about these ways to advocate for a program such as this.  

Nathan Carle 6 years, 10 months ago

I am very comfortable with face to face/workshops and traditional print media.  The idea of using pintrest, facebook, bloging and other online advocacy platforms is all rather new to me.  My flip-phone and I are a happily behind the times when it comes to online advocy and interactions. 

Charles Swift 6 years, 10 months ago

I use pintrest alot for woodworking and home ideas. I never thought about using pintrest as a school resource orgainization tool or a way to search out ideas. It never occured to me to use it as an education tool.

Beverly Tedeschi 6 years, 10 months ago

It was good to be reminded of the various ways that one can advocate within education.  I do not currently use Facebook or twitter for professional reasons as our school does not want us to establish accounts with students on these social media sites.  However, I am very comfortable with  face to face encounters both one on one and in a workshop environment. I have lead workshops before for other curriculum programs and made presentations at National meetings.  I am also very involved with the collegeboard's blog for AP Biology, have a web page for my classes and use online textbook resoureces with chat boxes.  Advocacy is not a problem for me. 

Caitlin Gately 6 years, 10 months ago

I use pintrest a lot for differnet ideas to use in my class, but I don't post or have my own sharing pages, I just use them for my own brainstorming. Sharing things on social media with student worries me so I tend to stay away from them for classes. 

Lisa Petrie 6 years, 10 months ago

Twitter is probably my main professional development tool right now. It's such a quick way to share and curate ideas and articles, even across social media platforms. Additionally, I recently took a PD course on Pinterest and used it to develop a short lesson for my Advisory on examining a school's core values. I admit to being surprised to discover that it's a powerful pedagogical tool -- I'd only ever considered it to be something for hobbyists. (Important, too!) And, as Kim stated above, I never considered LinkIn to be advocacy tool. So many social media platforms! It's hard to keep up. But clearly, there are options available, and advocacy is important. It's good to be reminded here that we have a responsibility to share with our peers. At the end of this busy year, I've not lived up to that standard!

Linda Hedrick 6 years, 10 months ago

I often follow the blogs of a couple of well-known librarians and have learned from them, but I do not personally blog. I don’t really use LinkedIn (even though I have an account), I do use Twitter and Google Hangouts occasionally, Facebook for personal use only, and Pinterest has been helpful when looking for new ideas. My focus tends to be within my building and district and I do find it hard to find the time for advocacy further out. The advocacy toolkit is a good reminder to me of how important it is for us to share beyond our local areas.

Ethel Gaides 6 years, 10 months ago

I've been successfully advocating a majority of the tools in the Toolkit with various online courses with PSU and OPEN-NH. Twitter is my absolute favorite! I echo Karen's post. Linkedin is for my personal networking and seeing what opportunities are available for me. I love to expand my knowledge base. I will be experimenting more with Blogs in the near future. I can see great potential for Blogging with grant-writing in mind. I will share these resources with Learning Forward NH, our SAU #48 professional learning committee, and already tweeted the link tonight.

Jen Spoerke 6 years, 10 months ago

Google Hangouts is a great way to connect quickly to all of the students in a classroom, especially if you work at a Google School.  I had no idea that LinkedIn had stuff for collaboration.  Admittedly, I don't pay any attention to LinkedIn.  Most of the other things mentioned in the Toolkit I've either heard of or tried to use.

Alaura Carson 6 years, 10 months ago

I often search Pinterest and youtube for ideas on lessons and resources to help my students.  I have never posted anything I have created on pinterest, but I used to make instructional videos for my students on youtube.  I have not used most of the resources mentioned in the toolkit, however I do use teaceherspayteachers.com.  While many teachers post their work for a fee, I always post my work for free.  Other educators are able to download my resources and even share them on social media such as facebook and pinterest.  Some of my resources have been pinned over 500 times!