Language Supports for ICT CFT

by Melinda Boland 5 years, 9 months ago

What could be done to be more inclusive of different language speakers seeking to use the ICT CFT materials?

Houssein Djama 5 years, 9 months ago

Pour impliquer plus de personnes à cette initiative il vaudrait peut-être les inviter à être membre.

Zeynep Varoglu 5 years, 9 months ago

Computer generated translation services (Google Translate, JSI resources, other) may be usefu, however it would be necessary to ensure contextualization, and quality control of the product. What do you think?

Joseph Wambua 5 years, 9 months ago

This is very true. The machine translation may not capture the juice and spirit of the content. There is need for verification from a human being who has the capacity to do so.

Fawzi Baroud 5 years, 9 months ago

that's why I  am planning to involve the Translation dept. at my University to help in the translation process

Andrew Moore 5 years, 9 months ago

Perhaps we could have a list of translation services? It is an expensive service so its nice to know who might help with different language combinations translations.

Chris Maiyaki 5 years, 9 months ago

Always take into cognisance the sanctity of content and the quality assurance issues in tranlating from one language to another

I agree with you that the cost of embedding these translation resources might be high but I also think we can partner with the provider of the same like Google to bring the cost down or provide them for free. This will also ensure sustainability of the initiative.

George Awad 5 years, 9 months ago

One way is to translate the ICT CFT material to more languages

Melinda Boland 5 years, 9 months ago

For example, a resource created in English may be remixed into another language. On OER Commons Open Author platform, users may click "remix this resource" and translate the original into a new language, creating a resource.

Version History
Screenshot of OER Commons Open Author version history

This can be done by embedding a translator resource or app on the platform.

Handson Mlotshwa 5 years, 9 months ago

An application that allows participants to select text or audio translation from dominant languages will be useful in making the hub more accessible. 

Samuel Jesse 5 years, 9 months ago

1. One way would be to request various groups or countries to ensure that the ICT CFT materials they develop are transilated to as many languages as possible. Countries can ensure that their content development teams have members who can be able to transilate their materials into different languages.

Nokulunga Ndlovu 5 years, 9 months ago

We already have technology that can help achieve this by the press of a button. I think beyond that, it would help if we could also share the different contexts or reasons for the materials and the different approaches adopted to address the challenges. That would help us think deeply about our contexts and how best we can customise the materials to suit our needs.

Hunada Kanbar 5 years, 9 months ago

Using AI is really useful for the translation to translate the materials.

Michel AGBOH 5 years, 9 months ago

D'abord avoir un plan de communication pour faire connaitre l'existence du site, inviter les gens  à s'inscrie et enfin avoir une application (de traduction) qui peut aider le nouveau membre à communiquer!