By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Explain how reading in college is different from reading in high school.
- Identify common types of reading tasks assigned in a college class.
- Describe the purpose and instructor expectations of academic reading.
- Identify effective reading strategies for academic texts using the SQ3R System.
- Explore the Anatomy of a Textbook.
- Develop strategies to help you read effectively.
- Explore strategies for approaching specialized texts, such as math, sciences, and specialized platforms, such as online text.
- Identify vocabulary-building techniques to strengthen your reading comprehension.