Share your Quick Write list with your reading group, and then discuss the following questions. After listening to your group’s responses to each question, jot down brief answers and submit them to your teacher.
- In what ways does Prospero wield his power (over Miranda, Ariel, Caliban, and Fernando)?
- Why is Ariel bound to Prospero as a servant? How does Prospero treat him?
- Why is Caliban bound to Prospero as a servant? How has Prospero treated him in the past, and how does he treat him now?
- What are Ferdinand’s and Miranda’s responses to meeting each other?
- What do you think are Prospero’s motives for causing this storm and shipwreck and the saving of those on board the ship?