- If you've ever wondered why we need concepts like noun and verb or word and phrase when discussing language, this book is for you. Deliberately selective in its approach and assuming no prior knowledge of linguistics, The Language of Language explores the nature of language and linguists' agreed-upon ways of talking about the object of their inquiry. Our focus is on modes of thinking rather than content knowledge. Our goal is to encourage informed thinking about (why) language matters, so that you can continue puzzling about language issues long after you've worked your way through this book.Now in its third edition, the book is packed with over 100 commented activities, examples of language play, and fun food for thought, designed to whet your appetite for linguistics and language studies.The companion workbook, Lang101 Workbook, contains 460 additional commented exercises and activities, designed for self-study or for the classroom.
- Higher Education, Linguistics
- High School, Community College / Lower Division, Adult Education
- Grade 11, Grade 12
- Material Type:
- Full Course, Module, Textbook
- Madalena Cruz-Ferreira, Sunita Abraham
- Date Added:
- Creative Commons Attribution
- Media Format:
No evaluations yet.
Add important feedback and this resource.