Task 2: A Visual Comparison
Your teacher will put you into a small group. With your group, work together to compare and contrast the two texts, “The Gift of the Magi” and “The Proven Power of Giving, Not Getting,” using a visual representation.
- First, brainstorm the similarities and differences of how these two texts approach the theme.
- How does the genre influence them?
- Where do you see irony in the short story? Identify specific lines. How does that irony support the theme?
- What do you notice about the point of view of the story versus the article?
- Then, decide what kind of visual display you want to use and get started!
- You’ll be presenting your visual representation at the end of the lesson, so make sure to stay on task.