Students write the relationship between two fractions as a unit rate and use unit rates and the constant of proportionality to solve problems involving proportional relationships.
- In situations where there is a constant rate involved, the unit rate is a constant of proportionality between the two variable quantities and can be used to write a formula of the form y = kx.
- A given constant rate can be simplified to find the unit rate by expressing its value with a denominator of 1.
- The ratios of two fractions can be expressed as a unit rate.
Goals and Learning Objectives
- Express the ratios of two fractions as a unit rate.
- Understand that when a constant rate is involved, the unit rate is the constant of proportionality.
- Use the unit rate to write and solve a formula of the form y = kx.