What does a Functionalist consider when studying a phenomenon like the Occupy Wall Street movement?
- The minute functions that every person at the protests plays in the whole
- The internal conflicts that play out within such a diverse and leaderless group
- How the movement contributes to the stability of society by offering the discontented a safe, controlled outlet for dissension
- The factions and divisions that form within the movement
What is the largest difference between the Functionalist and Conflict perspectives and the Interactionist perspective?
- The former two consider long-term repercussions of the group or situation, while the latter focuses on the present.
- The first two are the more common sociological perspective, while the latter is a newer sociological model.
- The first two focus on hierarchical roles within an organization, while the last takes a more holistic view.
- The first two perspectives address large-scale issues facing groups, while the last examines more detailed aspects.
What role do secondary groups play in society?
- They are transactional, task-based, and short-term, filling practical needs.
- They provide a social network that allows people to compare themselves to others.
- The members give and receive emotional support.
- They allow individuals to challenge their beliefs and prejudices.
When a high school student gets teased by her basketball team for receiving an academic award, she is dealing with competing ______________.
- primary groups
- reference groups
- secondary groups
Which of the following is not an example of an in-group?
- The Ku Klux Klan
- A fraternity
- A synagogue
- A high school
What is a group whose values, norms, and beliefs come to serve as a standard for one's own behavior?
- Secondary group
- Formal organization
- Reference group
- Primary group
A parent who is worrying over her teenager’s dangerous and self-destructive behavior and low self-esteem may wish to look at her child’s:
- reference group
- All of the above
(1:C, 2:D, 3:A, 4:C, 5:D, 6:C, 7:D)