This lesson formally introduces and defines a ratio as a way of comparing numbers to one another.
A ratio is defined by the following characteristics:
- A ratio is a pair of numbers (a:b).
- Ratios are used to compare two numbers.
- The value of a ratio a:b is the quotient a ÷ b, or the result of dividing a by b.
Other important features of ratios include the following:
- A ratio does not always tell you the values of quantities being compared.
- The order of values in a ratio matters.
Goals and Learning Objectives
- Introduce a formal definition of ratio.
- Use the definition of ratio to solve problems related to comparing quantities.
- Understand that ratios do not always tell you the values of the quantities being compared.
- Understand that the order of values in a ratio matters.