1) Lesson Summary:
Students will practice reading, oral and listening skills based on the theme Van Gogh’s Bedroom in Arles, by working with a virtual tour of the painter’s bedroom and by producing their own recordings of podcasts about the virtual tour.
2) Lesson Objective:
To provide students with an opportunity to develop reading, oral and listening skills based on works of art, associating the teaching of English with painting.
3) Resources/Technology for the teacher:
• Website page: Text Vincent Van Gogh’s “Bedroom at Arles,” or, The Outside World is Friendly
• Facebook video: Virtual tour of Van Gogh’s Bedroom in Arles
4) Resources/Technology for the students:
Computer Lab or Student Laptop setting
Worksheet /Learning Materials
5) Grade / Course: Bachelor of Arts degree (BA) in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL), First year undergraduates – Intermediate level
6) Length of Activity: two classes (50 minutes each)
7) Intended Curriculum Learning Outcomes
• Students will use the internet to answer some questions about the text Vincent Van Gogh: The Bedroom.
• Students will discuss their understanding of the text in pairs/with the whole class.
• Students will watch the virtual tour Van Gogh’s Bedroom in Arles.
• Students will discuss what they visualize in the virtual tour.
• Students will read a text with a detailed description of the bedroom.
• Students will watch the virtual tour again and check if the written description in the text matches with the images from the virtual tour.
• Students will have to make corrections in the text when images do not correspond to the text.
• Students will discuss about their findings in pairs.
• Students will be divided into small groups of three. They will record a podcast to describe the virtual tour with their own words. In their recordings, they will have to insert some extra or wrong information about the virtual tour.
• Different groups will have to listen to the podcasts and identify the non-corresponding information.
8) Instructional Activities
Teacher will provide instructions on how to develop the activities and the necessary materials and help for the accomplishemnts of the activities (15 minutes)
Students are given time to complete the lesson activities. (35 minutes)
9) Learner Assessment: Student completion of the activities.
- Educational Technology
- Language Education (ESL)
- English Language Arts
- Reading Informational Text
- Speaking and Listening
- Material Type:
- Lesson Plan
- Unit of Study
- Terezinha Marcondes Diniz Biazi
- Date Added: