Lesson Topic: Knife Skills Lab
Lesson Description: This is a one-day knife skills lab Culinary students completed.
Learning Goals/Outcomes: Students will review how to properly hold a knife. Students will identify and demonstrate multiple knife cuts.
BMM.HS.1.8.b Identify and demonstrate different knife cuts (batonnet, julienne, brunoise, dice, chiffonade, diagonal, etc.).
Demonstrate ability to avoid safety hazards in the kitchen environment (i.e. knife safety,
fire safety, and appliance safety).
- 1 Potato per student
- 1 Chef knife per group
- Cutting Board
- Laminated Culinary Cutting Terms Handout (1 per kitchen)
- Large paper or post it note to hang on white board-labeled with each cut the students are completing
- Red stickers and green stickers
- Laptop with Internet access
- Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydc_SaQ_eRQ&list=PL4a1rrY3haorkzi8o17ngwq08xuj-s2Pk&index=4&t=0s
Time Required for Lesson: 47 Minutes (1 period)
- Get knives out for each kitchen
- Set laminated handout in each kitchen
__X___ YES _____NO
Anticipatory Set/Pre-Activity: What knife is known as the "all-purpose" knife?
Benefits/Explanation/Career Readiness Standards: Basic knife skills is essential for any Culinary class.
Activities (i.e. instructions, lesson, lab or project):
- Anticipatory Set: What knife is known as the "all-purpose" knife?
- Watch video to review how to hold knife, safety, and certain cuts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydc_SaQ_eRQ&list=PL4a1rrY3haorkzi8o17ngwq08xuj-s2Pk&index=4&t=0s THEN.. ask students to describe how to properly grip a knife.
- Explain expectations of behavior for lab: Complete a looks like, sounds like chart, and a does not look like, does not sound like chart on the board before entering lab
- Explain lab: Students will be split into even groups in designated kitchens. Each member of the group is to follow the instructions and cut their potato. The group is to work together to ensure that all group members are completing the lab correctly. Each group member will have their cutting board set up to look like the picture on the laminated handout. After the potatoes in each lab are all cut, they are to grab a sticky note and label which cutting board is theirs for the teacher to grade.
Closure: Students are to take a red dot sticker and green dot sticker and place onto the large piece of paper on the whiteboard. Students are to place the red dot on the cut they found the hardest to complete and place the green dot on the easiest cut to complete.
The summative assessment is the cuts of potatoes left on their cutting board.