- You will present students with a challenge: build a structure from different materials that will protect a model of the Ares launch vehicles (a raw egg) from the heat of a propane torch for as long as possible. Then they design, build, test, and revise their own thermal protection systems. They document their designs with sketches and written descriptions. As a culmination, students compile their results into a poster and present them to the class.
This activity explores the concepts of energy transfer with the following standards:
• Energy is a property of many substances and is associated with heat and light.
• Heat moves in predictable ways, flowing from warmer objects to cooler ones, until both reach the same temperature.
- Engineering, Physical Science
- Middle School
- Grade 7, Grade 8
- Material Type:
- heather mahon (berk)
- Date Added:
- Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike
- Media Format:
- Graphics/Photos, Text/HTML
Achieve OERAverage Score (3 Points Possible)
|Degree of Alignment||3 (1 user)|
|Quality of Explanation of the Subject Matter||2 (1 user)|
|Utility of Materials Designed to Support Teaching||2 (1 user)|
|Quality of Assessments||2 (1 user)|
|Quality of Technological Interactivity||2 (1 user)|
|Quality of Instructional and Practice Exercises||2 (1 user)|
|Opportunities for Deeper Learning||2 (1 user)|