An integrated language arts and social studies unit designed to develop student’s literacy skills while giving them an understanding of the general purpose of government, the structure and processes of Washington’s state government, and the rights and responsibilities of citizenship. The unit culminates with an optional mock legislature simulation that has students write and argue for a bill.
- Gather relevant information from multiple sources.
- Determine the central idea(s) of a text.
- Cite textual evidence for support.
- Understand and respond to multiple perspectives on a public issue.
- Understand the structure, organization, and processes of the state government.
- Understand ideals of the Washington State Constitution.
under license"Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial"