Understanding Nutritional Value, Cost, and Uses of Various Cooking Oils
Grade Level: 10-12
Subject: Introduction to Culinary Arts
Duration: 3 - 50 minute class periods
DOK Level: 3
SAMR Level: Modification
ICAH-4.2 Utilize nutrition labels and other information on food packaging to make decisions about ingredients used in food preparation
ICAH-4.3 Adapt recipes for increased nutritional value and to accommodate special dietary needs
ICAH-5.6 Demonstrate a variety of industry-accepted cooking methods, including roasting and baking, broiling, grilling, griddling, sautéing, frying, deep frying, braising, stewing, poaching, and steaming
Objective: Students will have an understanding of the nutritional values, the costs, and the appropriates uses of various types of cooking oils.
- What are the available cooking oils on the market today?
- Are there cooking oils that are healthier AND can be used fairly commonly?
- Will the potentially higher costs of healthier oils be manageable in the average food budget?
- Are the uses of various oils universal; can I use any oil for any cooking procedure and product?
- Discuss essential questions: A.What are the available cooking oils on the market today? B. Are there cooking oils that are healthier AND can be used fairly commonly? C. Will the potentially higher costs of healthier oils be manageable in the average food budget? D. Are the uses of various oils universal; can I use any oil for any cooking procedure and product?
- Watch the attached video: “Cooking Oils”
- In groups of 3 select a particular cooking oil and complete the following information in Google Slide format:
Slide #1: Title slide with name of cooking oil
Slide #2: Picture, total ounces, total cost, cost per serving
Slide #3: Common uses in preparing/cooking recipes and your group’s impression as to
whether the usage warrants the price
Slide #4: Nutritional value of a serving and your group’s impression as to whether the
nutritional value warrants the price
4. Share presentation to the other groups.
5. Each group will examine other presentations and “comment” on impressions for Slide #3
and Slide #4 (agree, disagree, provide clarification)
Product or Assessment:
Assessment #1: Google Slides: Slide #1=1 points, Slide #2=4 points, Slide #3 and #4 = 5 points (points awarded based on content requested) Total points awarded = 15
Accommodations: Find the costs and uses for the two most commonly used oils and find a recipe using each type of oil.
Enrichment: Select a recipe that requires a cooking oil. Suppose you do not have that type of oil. Go to www.discusscooking.com and create a log in. Ask a question to the forum about an appropriate substitute and success for its use or lack thereof..