Intro to cells: What is a cell? How does it replicate? How does a cell communicate with other cells?
A. Cell structure
Plant and animal cells interactive animation from www.cellsalive.com
2. Video from Biology Cell Structure from Nucleus Medical Media.
3. Video from Bozemanscience.com -A tour of the cell
B. The Cell Cycle. Cell replication by mitosis or meiosis, and uncontrolled cell division leads to cancer.
- Mitosis animation from cells alive.com Mitosis
- Meiosis animation from cells alive.com Meiosis
- Cell cycle animation from cells alive.com Cell cycle
- Biointeractive click and learn the cell cycle HHMI (Howard Hughes Medical Institute) Spanish available. Cell cycle and cancer in Spanish
C. Cell differentiation and communication depends on cell signals. Cells -> tissues -> organs -> organ systems and ultimately organisms.
- 3D animation from Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Cell signaling
- Animation from HHMI signal molecules Signal molecules and transcription factors