PART 1: LESSON DESCRIPTION
Conversational English for Learners of English as a Second Language (ESL) Seeking Employment in a Fast Food or Restaurant Business
This lesson has been developed for ESL learners, Adult Basic Education (ABE) learners at a Level B, CCR Anchor 1 (SL.3.1-1d), Speaking and Listening Standards, who wish to use conversational English to communicate at job interviews, with co-workers, and the general public. Learners will engage in collaborative discussions (one-on-one, group, and teacher-led) with diverse partners, building on others' ideas, clearly expressing their own ideas, asking questions, and applying lessons learned to create new knowledge.
LEARNER AUDIENCE/PRIMARY USE
This lesson is for ESL learners who speak some English and want to learn conversational English to enter the job market and communicate with the general public. Learners will engage in collaborative classroom discussions (one-on-one, group, and teacher-led) with diverse partners, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly, ask questions, and explain own ideas of discussions pertaining to the workforce.
- Curriculum / Instruction
- Professional Development
- Instructional Material
- Lesson Plan
- Designers for Learning
- Adult Education
- Conversational English
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
TIME REQUIRED FOR LESSON
- 90 minutes
- Key skills covered in this lesson include conversational English for Employment Purposes.
- By the end of this lesson, the learner will:
- Pronounce 10 job-related words with 90% accuracy
- Write 10 job-related words with 90% accuracy
- Sketch or find a picture of a job-related scenery of a fast food or restaurant of your choice. In a descriptive explanation, using the 10 job-related vocabulary words practiced for homework, give a 5-minute presentation of the job scenery you chose, pronouncing words with 90% accuracy
COLLEGE & CAREER READINESS STANDARDS (CCRS) ALIGNMENT
- Level: Adult Education
- Grade Level: B
- Subject: English Language Arts / Literacy
- Strand: Speaking and Listening
- Anchor 1 (SL.3.1)
- Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
- Anchor 1a (SL.3.1a)
- Come to discussions prepared having read or studied required material; explicitly draw on that preparation and other information known about the topic to explore ideas under discussion.
- Anchor 1b (SL.3.1b)
- Follow agreed-upon rules for discussions (e.g., gaining the floor in respectful ways, listening to others with care, speaking one at a time about the topics and texts under discussion).
- Anchor 1c (SL.3.1c)
- Ask questions to check understanding of information presented, stay on topic, and link their comments to the remarks of others.
- Anchor 1d (SL.3.1d)
- Explain their own ideas and understanding in light of the discussion.
- Very Basic Conversational English
- Skilled teacher with experience teaching learners of ESL
- Computer and Printer
- Printouts of registration instructions for USA Learn
- Printout of worksheets: Vocabulary Words and Definitions, Vocabulary Words and Sentences
- Interactive tutorials on USA Learns website for engaging ESL learners in speaking and listening activities
- Art supplies for sketching art work (pencils, drawing paper, erasers)
LESSON AUTHOR & LICENSE
- Lesson Author: Anna M. Anglin
- License: Creative Commons CC BY 4.0 License
PART 2: LESSON
Time : 10 minutes
Encourage learners by reassuring them that by the end of this lesson, they will learn vocabulary words and sentences required for the fast food or restaurant industry, pronounce words accurately, and read and write complete sentences. Instructor discusses with learners their job history and writes a list of their jobs, knowledge, and skills (see example below) on the blackboard to encourage discussions.
EXAMPLE Job History / Knowledge & Skills
Fast Food / Food preparation, cash register
Restaurant / Combining herbs and seasonings, cook
Time : 15 minutes
- Pronounce 10 job-related words correctly (worksheet)
- Write 10 job-related words accurately (worksheet)
- Sketch or print a copy of a job-related scenery of a fast food or restaurant of your choice. Give a 5-minute presentation of your scenery using vocabulary words and conversational English.
Instructor introduces herself and asks learners to model introductions.
Time : 15 minutes
Instructor will print and distribute copies of "REGISTRATION INSTRUCTIONS" (see below) of USA Learns, a free website that helps adults learn English online.
- Learners will sign on to http://www.usalearns.org/, to start registration.
- Once the registration process has been completed, learners will sign-in to USA Learns. Teacher will walk learners through their first listening and speaking activity: 1st English Course, Unit 1 First English Class: Introduction & Vocabulary.
Time : 30 minutes
Instructor will place learners in groups of two and read a short dialogue titled "DIALOGUE: JOB INTERVIEW" (see below). After reading the dialogue to learners, learners will chunk phrases and role-play to repeat and memorize interactions so that they can apply and modify it to their real interview. Instructor will walk around the classroom, observe, listen, and help learners with pronunciation. Instructor will encourage learners to exchange phone numbers to continue practice when not in school.
ACTIVITY: 20 Minutes
ACTIVITY: 10 Minutes
Instructor will print and distribute copies of "VOCABULARY WORDS AND SENTENCES" (see below) consisting of 10 sentences from the "VOCABULARY WORDS AND DEFINITIONS" sheet (see below) to practice pronunciation, reading, and writing. Instructor will model reading sentences and pronunciation.
Time : 10
Instructor will ask each learner to verbally pronounce the vocabulary words from the "VOCABULARY WORDS AND DEFINITIONS" sheet (see below). Instructor will provide feedback.
Time : 10 minutes
Instructor will print and discuss homework instructions (see below "HOMEWORK INSTRUCTIONS") and provide an example.
Sketch or find a picture in a magazine of a fast food or
restaurant. In a 5-minute verbal narration, describe the job scenery you chose
and explain why you would like to work there. Include vocabulary words from VOCABULARY WORDS AND DEFINITIONS. Instructor will model homework.
KEY TERMS AND CONCEPTS
- Job Description
- Job Experiences
- Job Application
- Job Interview
- Knowledge and Skills
PART 3: SUPPLEMENTARY RESOURCES & REFERENCES
- USA Learns Helps Immigrants Learn English
- What is USA Learns?
- How To Sign In at usalearns.org
- How To Start Learning English Free
- Sacramento County Office of Education. (2015). USA Learns. Retrieved from http://usalearns.org/
- USA Learns website was initially funded in 2008 (funding ended) by the United States Department of Education and the California Department of Education to help adults learn English online. USA Learns is a free website that does not require materials and does not provide materials to learn English.
- The videos: USA Learns Helps Immigrants Learn English, What is USA Learns, How To Sign In At usalearns.org, and How To Start Learning English Free were created by USA Learns.
- This course content is offered by Designers for Learning under a CC Attribution License.
- Content in this course can be considered under this license unless otherwise noted.
(Design Guide effective September 12, 2016)