- This OER showcases the use of tools such as twitter, blogs, and other forms of social media, as a project for increasing cultural awareness in the classroom. These tools create spaces in the classroom for culturally responsive engagement between Native and non-Native students. Using contemporary indigenous activism as the focus of a semester-long project, I will discuss the steps taken to enable students to explore contemporary Native issues from indigenous perspectives. The ‘real-time’ environment of social media enables the students to engage with multiple indigenous perspectives in a pro-active, rather than passive, manner. The OER will also show how this exploration leads to increased student intellectual awareness and engagement with the indigenous world around them.
- Arts and Humanities
- Community College / Lower Division, College / Upper Division
- Material Type:
- Activity/Lab, Module
- Montana State Univ-Northern Faculty
- Date Added:
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International
- Media Format:
- Downloadable docs, Graphics/Photos, Text/HTML
No evaluations yet.
Add important feedback and this resource.