- Breaking the frame: Ways of Reading Native Photography
My OER showcases the use of Native American photography as a means of enabling students to connect with historical and contemporary Native issues. Using specific in-class exercises as examples I will show how Native photography addresses issues of racial identity, stereotypes, the sexualizing of Native bodies, and Native American history. I will discuss how the writing of the formal analysis of this photography as art also enables students to engage with the art through a reading that elucidates the contemporary lives of Native individuals and communities. The OER will show how interactive exploration of artistic meaning, and the messages therein, in Native photography leads to increased student intellectual awareness and understanding of the indigenous world around them.
- Arts and Humanities
- Community College / Lower Division, College / Upper Division
- Material Type:
- Lesson Plan, Teaching/Learning Strategy
- Montana State Univ-Northern Faculty
- Date Added:
- Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial
- Media Format:
- Downloadable docs, Graphics/Photos, Text/HTML
No evaluations yet.