- This unit emphasizes literacy skills for STEAM students, using the Planeterella Experiment to learn about aurorae. Guided by text-dependent questions, students will study and gather evidence from anchor and supplemental texts on the Planterella’s design, purpose and history, magnetic currents and their role in aurorae, the Van Allen Belt, the Lorenz Effect, and how global warming impacts aurorae. Students will perform experiments with magnetic currents and create a lab simulation of the aurora borealis using textual evidence and data from the anchor and supplemental texts. Students will present their findings and their experiments using the Tricaster TC40.
- Applied Science
- High School
- Grade 9, Grade 10, Grade 11, Grade 12
- Material Type:
- Activity/Lab, Lesson Plan, Reading, Simulation, Unit of Study
- Jeanna Wagner, Elizabeth Strauss, Jaime Newell
- Date Added:
- Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial
- Media Format:
No evaluations yet.
Add important feedback and this resource.